Dec 09, 2023
For more information about degree offerings by the faculty of English, visit the Department of English and Creative Writing webpage.
Graduate Academic Programs
The graduate faculty of English offers courses leading to the Master of Arts (M.A.) and Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) degrees in English language and literature.
Program Learning Outcomes
Master of Arts. Students who complete the master’s program in English language and literature will be able to:
- create independent work that analyzes, evaluates, and synthesizes aspects of Anglophone literature.
- understand, analyze, and evaluate diverse areas of Anglophone literature.
- understand, analyze, and evaluate theories on human, gender, and cultural diversity as they apply to cultural materials.
- write and present effectively about issues in the field.
Doctor of Philosophy. Students who complete the doctoral program in English language and literature will be able to:
- create original and sustained scholarly work in the field.
- demonstrate expertise in two sub-disciplines through evaluation, analysis, and synthesis of works in the field.
- analyze and synthesize theories on human, gender, and cultural diversity and apply them to cultural materials to create original and creative work in the field.
- write and present effectively to professional audiences about issues in the field.
Laura M. Stevens
Robert A. Jackson
Holly A. Laird
Don James McLaughlin
Applied Associate Professor
Applied Assistant Professor
Graduate Program Advisor
CoursesEnglish & Creative Writing