May 26, 2024  
2015-2016 Undergraduate Bulletin 
2015-2016 Undergraduate Bulletin [ARCHIVED BULLETIN]

Academic Practices and Policies


Undergraduate Education at The University of Tulsa


Through a wide range of courses and modes of learning, undergraduate education at The University of Tulsa challenges students to develop an appreciation of a liberal education, a breadth of knowledge, and the reasoning and communication skills that will enhance their ability to participate fully in contemporary society. Students not only enjoy diverse opportunities to participate in the scholarly process but also, through study in a major subject area or area of concentration, gain depth of understanding and proficiency in a particular subject.

The Tulsa Curriculum

Every undergraduate must fulfill the requirements of the Tulsa Curriculum, which has two parts: the core curriculum and the general curriculum. Most students complete the Tulsa Curriculum before beginning the junior year. The University Curriculum Committee exercises oversight of the Tulsa Curriculum.

The Core Curriculum

Core curriculum requirements in writing, mathematics, and languages include the development of fundamental intellectual skills that are not only immediately useful in helping students meet the requirements of general education courses but that also equip them with basic competencies.

It is presumed that all undergraduates enter the University with adequate computer skills. Short courses and workshops are available to students who want to improve their computer skills.

Writing. All undergraduates must take at least two writing courses. Students in The Henry Kendall College of Arts and Sciences  take ENGL 1033 Exposition and Argumentation  and FS 1973 First Seminar . Students in the Collins College of Business, the College of Engineering and Natural Sciences, and the College of Health Sciences take ENGL 1033 Exposition and Argumentation  and ENGL 3003 Writing for the Professions . Non-native speakers of English and other students who need developmental work in the fundamentals of writing, as evidenced by their test scores and performance on a diagnostic writing test, are required to enroll in ENGL 1004 Introduction to College Writing  as a prerequisite for ENGL 1033 . Total: 6-10 hours.

Mathematics. All incoming undergraduates must complete, place out of, or show proficiency in MATH 1083 Contemporary Mathematics  or another basic mathematics course certified by the University Curriculum Committee such as MATH 1093 Mathematics with Applications , MATH 1103 Basic Calculus , or MATH 1163 Pre-calculus Mathematics . Total: 0-3 hours.

Bachelor of Science students have additional requirements in math and computer science or computer applications.

For specific requirements of each degree program, consult the appropriate collegiate advising office.

Languages. Students in many degree programs are required to take a foreign language, as follows:

All Bachelor of Arts students must complete, place out of, or show proficiency in a foreign language through the second-year level. Total: 0-14 hours.

All Bachelor of Fine Arts, Bachelor of Music, and Bachelor of Music Education students must complete or show proficiency in a foreign language through the first-year level (1004-1014) and either continue the foreign language through the second level or take two additional courses from Blocks I and II in the general curriculum. Total: 0-14 hours.

All Bachelor of Science in Business Administration students must complete, place out of, or show proficiency in a modern foreign language through the first-year level (1004-1014). Total: 0-8 hours. The Collins College of Business offers a Bachelor of Science degree in International Business and Language which, in addition to the business core, requires language proficiency in French, German, Spanish, Russian or Chinese.

The General Curriculum

Because the development of knowledge involves collaboration with the past and engagement with the present, the general curriculum, through the blocks defined below, is structured to encourage this collaboration and engagement. Its goal is to lead students to a breadth of knowledge and intellectual rigor rooted in the academic disciplines. Reflecting the University’s commitment to writing through the curriculum, courses in the general curriculum typically require significant amounts of writing. These courses also emphasize original texts, wherever appropriate, as well as current scholarship.

The University schedule for each semester specifies course offerings in the general curriculum. In meeting the general curriculum requirement, the student may take no more than two courses from a single department. Course selection may be governed in part by the student’s prospective major. Except for students in the College of Engineering and Natural Sciences who are typically exempted from Block III, each student must complete 25 hours of general curriculum courses: six from Block I, twelve from Block II, and seven from Block III.

Block I (AICE): Aesthetic Inquiry and Creative Experience (6 hours). These courses consider the human activities of making, thinking, and doing. Two different approaches are offered: those that involve students in the creative process through study in courses designed to produce or perform creative works; and those that investigate the nature of texts, works of art or music, or systems of thought.

Block II (HSI): Historical and Social Interpretation (12 hours). These courses investigate and interpret how human thought and action - and the products of such thought and action - are shaped by social, historical, cultural, environmental, and/or psychological factors.

Block III (SI): Scientific Investigation (7 hours). These courses focus on methods of investigation and explore the relationships among key concepts in the sciences. The process of scientific inquiry - including hypothesis generation, data collection, analysis, and modeling, use of technology and mathematics, and presentation of results - is fundamental to courses in this block. These courses may also consider the interrelationships among technical concepts and contemporary societal issues. At least one of each student’s Block III courses must include laboratory or field experiences that provide practical experience in inquiry.

Senior Requirement. Most undergraduates at The University of Tulsa complete their course of study with an intensive, rigorous, semester-long academic experience in the senior year. The nature of this requirement varies by discipline and may be a design project, a recital, an internship, or a specially designed interdisciplinary or major course. To determine the appropriate senior requirement, students should consult their faculty advisors or collegiate advising offices.

Honors Program

High school seniors with exceptional academic records and a spirit of intellectual curiosity are invited to consider the University’s Honors Program . The core courses in the Honors Program are credited to the student’s general curriculum requirement. Students may choose to do independent research as part of their Honors Plan. In that case, a student’s directed research is applied either as elective or as major required hours. Students admitted to the Honors Program receive an academic scholarship and may choose to major in any academic discipline offered by The University of Tulsa.

Honor Societies

The University of Tulsa supports chapters of national honor societies that recognize the hard work of our students.

Phi Beta Kappa is the oldest American honorary society, founded at the College of William and Mary in 1776. The University of Tulsa chapter, Beta of Oklahoma, was chartered in 1989. The chapter annually elects to membership students with exceptionally strong records in the liberal arts and sciences. Election to membership in Phi Beta Kappa is one of the highest academic honors and is almost universally regarded as evidence of superior scholarly attainment.

Candidates for membership must be in their junior or senior year, must have attended The University of Tulsa for a minimum of three semesters of full-time work, and must be enrolled in a fourth semester of full-time work at TU. In addition, students must have taken at least 90 hours of liberal arts courses (other than professional and applied courses), demonstrating breadth as well as depth of course study. Other factors influencing selection into membership include a high grade point average, two years of a foreign language and a minimum math requirement of MATH 1103 Basic Calculus , or two courses consisting of MATH 1163 Pre-calculus Mathematics  and another math or statistics course at an equivalent level of difficulty.

The culmination of the year’s activities is the annual Initiation Ceremony, normally held the evening before spring commencement. During this ceremony new student members (“Members in Course”) and distinguished Alumni/ae and Honorary Members are inducted in a formal and memorable ceremony that publicly recognizes and honors each inductee. For additional information, contact Professor Lamont Lindstrom, Department of Anthropology.

Phi Kappa Phi was founded in 1897 as the Lambda Sigma Eta Society at the University of Maine. In 1900, the society added chapters at the Pennsylvania State College (now Pennsylvania State University) and the University of Tennessee and was renamed Phi Kappa Phi. The University of Tulsa chapter, chartered in 1990, is one of over 250 chapters in the United States.

Phi Kappa Phi elects members from all recognized branches of academic endeavor. Members are selected on the basis of high academic achievement and good character. Inductees may include a maximum of ten percent of the graduate students in the University, ten percent of all graduating seniors, and no more than five percent of juniors.

TU students may also join honor societies for specific fields of study, class or other criteria. A partial list may be found here.

Study Abroad

The University of Tulsa is committed to offering its undergraduate students an opportunity to acquire cross-cultural experience by spending a term studying, interning, or conducting research overseas. The Center for Global Education (CGE) advisors work closely with students to assist them in finding appropriate programs which fit their academic needs as well as their personal and career goals.

The Center for Global Education manages 12 reciprocal exchange partnerships with universities abroad and has affiliation agreements with well-respected study abroad provider organizations which offer overseas study and internship opportunities to students worldwide.

After meeting study abroad application requirements and with the approval of a student’s College, students may choose to take courses abroad which may satisfy major, minor, block, and elective credit and degree requirements.

Students from all disciplines are encouraged to consider applying to participate in a program abroad. Federal financial aid and TU-sponsored scholarships are portable on approved study abroad programs, keeping the cost for a program abroad relatively close to the same cost as attending TU. A number of competitive study abroad scholarships are available and students are encouraged to apply. For more details on TU’s programs abroad, see the Student Financial Services  Section of this Bulletin and visit the Center for Global Education.

The Center for Global Education administers the interdisciplinary Global Scholars Program .

Certificate Programs

Students in all undergraduate colleges may complete certificate programs which allow them to acquire proficiencies in a specialized area of study. Many of the hours that count toward a certificate will also count toward the student’s general education and major requirements or as electives. A certificate program may also function unofficially as a minor. Certificates may be earned by individuals who already possess one or more college degrees, or at the time of graduation with a bachelor’s degree, but will not be awarded prior to awarding of a bachelor’s degree.

Air Force ROTC

By agreement with the United States Air Force, eligible full time students at The University of Tulsa may participate in Oklahoma State University Air Force ROTC. Cadets participating in the crosstown program maintain their status as students at The University of Tulsa and graduate with full TU credentials; however, upon graduation, they receive commissions as second lieutenants in the United States Air Force through the DET 670 AFROTC program at OSU. To accommodate the schedules of crosstown participants, AFROTC classes are typically held on Thursday afternoons and evenings on the OSU campus in Stillwater, Oklahoma.

Eligibility. Students in any academic major, including graduate students (with a waiver), may participate in the AFROTC program. A cadet must be a full time student, a U.S. citizen, and less than age 30 in the year of commissioning (some exceptions apply). A cadet must have a cumulative undergraduate GPA of at least 2.00. Other eligibility requirements apply and are subject to change.

Scholarships and Incentives. Students may be eligible for scholarships offered by OSU AFROTC. For more information on these opportunities, contact the AFROTC Recruiting Flight Commander (RFC) at 405-744-7744, or visit

Obligation. In most cases, students may try AFROTC by taking the freshman or sophomore AFROTC courses without obligation. In most cases, students who successfully complete the ROTC program become second lieutenants in the U. S. Air Force with a four-year active duty service obligation. However, service obligations vary with career assignments and may include commitment times longer than four years.

The Air Force ROTC Curriculum. Air Force ROTC courses are listed in the OSU catalog as Aerospace Studies (AERO). Freshman and sophomore AFROTC classes are one credit hour, while junior and senior AFROTC classes are three credit hours. All academic classes require the cadet to enroll in and attend a weekly Leadership Laboratory (LLAB) period during which leadership and followership skills are taught and emphasized. The Professional Officer Course (POC) portion of the AFROTC program is offered to juniors and seniors who have committed to a four-year-post graduation service commitment with the Air Force. Students also attend mandatory field training encampment during the summer between their sophomore and junior years.

To learn more, call the Air Force ROTC unit at 405-744-7744, visit the web site at or e-mail

Student Responsibility

The University strives to provide stimulating instruction, rigorous curricula, and challenging academic standards. Collegiate deans and academic advisors are willing to help explain available options, describe requirements, and plan degree programs. Nonetheless, students ultimately are responsible for proper enrollment, attainment of acceptable academic standards, and fulfillment of graduation requirements. Students who fail to maintain minimum standards are subject to probation or dismissal from the University.

At the beginning of each semester and again before midterm, faculty are encouraged to report the names of students who are doing unsatisfactory work to the collegiate advising office and the Center for Student Academic Support (CSAS). The Center for Student Academic Support, as part of the University’s Retention Alert Program, then notifies the students. At the first sign of academic difficulty, responsible students should ask instructors for help and should seek the assistance of the collegiate academic advisors and the Center for Student Academic Support.

Academic Standing

University and College Academic Policies

Students are required to abide by the academic policies of the University and the college in which their major resides. College policies may be more specific than University policies.

Academic Advising

All students are advised through the college in which they are enrolled. In some cases academic advising is coordinated by a professional advising staff, but in all colleges faculty members work closely with students to assist in selecting courses and majors. In many cases, faculty advisors also help students plan for graduate and professional school. Academic advising has a high priority at The University of Tulsa, and students are expected to see their advisors each term before enrolling. For further information on advising, visit Academic Resources, Advising and Support .


Students are classified on the basis of the number of credit hours earned. The classifications used are:

  • 0-29 hours - Freshman
  • 30-59 hours - Sophomore
  • 60-89 hours - Junior
  • 90+ hours - Senior

A student must be enrolled in at least 12 semester hours in fall or spring semesters to be considered a full-time student. A student must be enrolled in at least four semester hours in either the first or second summer term to be considered a full-time student. Enrollment in more than 18 hours during a semester requires special permission from the dean of the college. Additional tuition will be charged for each semester hour over 18.

Course classifications are:

  • 1000 - Freshman level
  • 2000 - Sophomore level
  • 3000 - Junior level
  • 4000 - Senior level
  • 5000 - Advanced Senior level courses taken with advisor consent only

The last digit of the course number indicates the number of credit hours for that course. One credit hour is the equivalent of 750 minutes in the classroom.

Credit by Examination

The maximum amount of credit towards a baccalaureate degree that may be awarded by examination is 36 hours. This may be awarded under any combination of the following types of credit by examination programs:

Advanced Placement Examinations. The University participates in the College Entrance Examination Board’s program of Advanced Placement (AP) examinations, which allows high school students to earn college credit. Official test scores must be forwarded directly from the Educational Testing Service to the Registrar. AP exam score requirements for credit may be obtained through the Office of Admission.

Proficiency Examinations. A program of advanced standing gives exceptionally qualified students a chance to earn credit by proficiency examinations. In order to be eligible to receive University of Tulsa credit through this program, students must be currently enrolled at the University. Proficiency tests are administered by University faculty only after the application has been completed in the Office of the Registrar and the required fee paid in the Bursar’s Office. The cost of proficiency examinations is specified in the Tuition and Fees  section of this Bulletin. Proficiency tests must be administered prior to the beginning of classes each term.

International Baccalaureate Program (IB). The University of Tulsa will award students who complete the IB Diploma with a score of 28 or above at least 30 credits. Credit will also be awarded on a sliding scale to students completing the IB Diploma with a score below 28. Students should consult the collegiate advising offices for details. A list of courses credited for IB Examinations is available from the Office of the Registrar or the Office of Admission. Final determination of hours awarded is at the discretion of the collegiate advisor.

Transfer Credit

Credit earned at other institutions is evaluated after admission by the academic advisors in the college of enrollment. Transfer applicants will be notified in writing of their advanced standing and the number of hours remaining to complete a degree or certificate program at The University of Tulsa.

Transfer credit policies within the colleges may be more stringent that University policies. Students are advised to check the policies of their college. Students are required to abide by the transfer credit policies of the college in which their major resides.

Transfer work taken while a student at The University of Tulsa must be approved by the advisor in the student’s collegiate office prior to enrollment at the other university. Failure to receive prior approval from the dean’s office will result in work not being transferable to TU.

Transfer credit will be granted only for courses offered during a regular semester with a minimum three week term, and consistent with applicable academic standards of The University of Tulsa and its academic programs.

Course work taken from accredited institutions and in which a grade of C or better was earned is generally transferable. However, the total number of hours accepted in transfer may be higher than those accepted for a specific college or degree. Academic advisors in each college apply college policy to determine which courses apply towards the degree requirements and which would be considered “overage” (not applicable) in a chosen major. Consequently, the advising office of each college is responsible for  informing the student of the difference between the number of hours transferred into TU and those hours applicable toward the anticipated degree program.

Exceptions and policy on the transfer of collegiate requirements must be approved by the college dean. Credit is not granted for correspondence work. Experiential work will not be accepted in transfer. Community college work may not account for more than one-half the hours required for graduation from the University. The last 45 hours of course work must be completed in residence at The University of Tulsa.


Student academic performance is reviewed at the end of every fall and spring semester. Any student whose cumulative University of Tulsa grade point average falls below 2.0 (C) is automatically placed on probation. A student on academic probation may be required to make up course deficiencies, accept limitations on enrollment, or abide by limitations on extracurricular activities, as determined by the dean of the college in which the student is enrolled.

In order to be removed from academic probation, students must raise their University of Tulsa cumulative grade point average to 2.0 and fulfill any other conditions imposed by the dean. The decision to remove a student from academic probation may be made only by the dean of the college in which the student is currently enrolled. Students may ask to be removed from probation at the end of a summer session if they have raised their cumulative grade point average at The University of Tulsa to at least 2.0. Students placed on probation cannot be removed from probation with work taken outside The University of Tulsa.

A student may be placed on probation or dismissed from a college by the dean of that college for reasons other than poor grades, even if he or she is in good academic standing otherwise. This includes, but is not limited to, the falsification of application materials including academic records, failure to satisfy stipulations imposed upon admission to the program, failure to maintain the standards of academic, ethical, or professional integrity expected in a particular discipline or program, and failure to satisfy these or other program or college requirements in a timely fashion.


Students who remain on probation for two consecutive semesters are subject to dismissal from the University. Those who fail more than 50 percent of their grade point hours or earn a grade point average of 1.0 or lower for any academic year are subject to dismissal even if they have not been on probation previously.

Dismissal decisions are made by a student’s collegiate dean based on the student’s academic performance. Extenuating circumstances may cause a collegiate dean to place or continue a student on probation. If the collegiate dean elects to continue a student on probation for additional semesters, the dean has the option of dismissing the student at the end of any subsequent regular semester that the student continues to be on probation. No student may continue on probation for more than four consecutive semesters.

A student dismissed for academic reasons cannot under normal circumstances be readmitted to The University of Tulsa until one calendar year has elapsed since the last term in which the student was registered. Readmission requires permission from the dean of the readmitting college. Credit earned at another college or university by a student during the dismissal period is not applied for credit toward a degree from The University of Tulsa unless approved by the readmitting dean.

Baccalaureate Degrees

Degrees Awarded

The University of Tulsa offers the following undergraduate degrees: Bachelor of Arts (B.A.), Bachelor of Fine Arts (B.F.A.), Bachelor of Arts in Deaf Education (B.A.D.E.), Bachelor of Music (B.M.), Bachelor of Music Education (B.M.E.), Bachelor of Science (B.S.), and Bachelor of Science in the following fields: Applied Mathematics (B.S.A.M.), Athletic Training (B.S.A.T.), Business Administration (B.S.B.A.), Biochemistry (B.S.B.), Biogeosciences (B.S.B.G.), Chemical Engineering (B.S.Ch.E.), Chemistry (B.S.C.), Computer Science (B.S.C.S.), Computer Simulation and Gaming (B.S.C.S.G.), Electrical and Computer Engineering (B.S.E.C.E.), Electrical Engineering (B.S.E.E.), Engineering Physics (B.S.E.P.), Exercise and Sports Science (B.S.E.S.S.), Geophysics (B.S.G.P.), Geosciences (B.S.G.S.), Information Technology (B.S.I.T.), International Business and Language (B.S.I.B.L.), Mechanical Engineering (B.S.M.E.), Nursing (B.S.N.), Petroleum Engineering (B.S.P.E.), and Speech-language Pathology (B.S.S.P.).

Degree Requirements

All degrees are awarded by a vote of the University’s Board of Trustees upon recommendation by the faculty. Students must complete their prescribed curricula with at least a 2.0 (C) grade point average in order to become candidates for a degree and must meet the additional degree requirements of their college. Transfer students must have at least a 2.0 (C) grade point average in work taken at The University of Tulsa.

Special Considerations

Minimum Hours Required. All undergraduate degrees from The University of Tulsa require a minimum of 124 hours for completion. Depending upon the major, students in the Henry Kendall College of Arts and Sciences must complete between 124 and 131 credit hours to graduate. Students in the Collins College of Business must complete 124 credit hours to graduate.  Students in the College of Health Sciences must complete between 124 and 126 credit hours to graduate.  Stduents in the College of Engineering and Natural Sciences must complete between 124 and 134 credit hours to graduate. For further information on these minimums, consult the appropriate collegiate advising office.

The last 45 semester hours in any degree program (major) must be completed in residence.

Double Majors. Students who wish to major in two different fields may do so by completing the minimum number of hours for each major. Double majors may be pursued either in one college or in two different colleges, but in the latter case, the permission of the deans of both colleges must be obtained at the time the second major is declared.

Double Degrees. Normally, to receive a second Bachelor’s degree, a student must fulfill the minimum number of hours/specific requirements for each degree program. Credit hours may be applied to more than one degree program only with permission from the dean of the college in which the degree program is offered.

Graduation Check. A graduation check is made in the first semester of the senior year by the collegiate advising office to ensure that all degree requirements will be met in a timely manner. When a student completes all degree requirements, the student will graduate at the end of the semester in which all requirements were met. Students must file a degree card with the collegiate advising office at the time of registration for the final semester. Confirmation of candidacy must be obtained from that office and forwarded to the Registrar. The University will confer a degree on a student who has completed all of the requirements for the degree even though the student has not applied for graduation.

Commencement Participation. The University holds commencement ceremonies in December and May. Students who complete degree requirements in the fall are to participate in that year’s December commencement, and those completing their requirements in the spring are to participate in commencement that May. In the spring semester, students in good standing who lack up to 12 hours of course work that they have enrolled to complete in the upcoming summer session are permitted to take part in the May commencement. Any exceptions to this policy must be cleared by the appropriate collegiate dean. Honors will not be called for students graduating during the summer, and are called for fall and spring graduates based upon the cumulative GPA earned as of the end of the prior regular term.

Teacher Education. Programs in teacher education are offered through the Henry Kendall College of Arts and Sciences. Students interested in teacher education should consult the certification advisor in the School of Urban Education and refer to teacher education requirements in the School of Urban Education  section of this Bulletin.

Graduation with Honor

Students who maintain a 4.0 grade point average in all undergraduate courses taken at TU graduate summa cum laude; those with a 3.8 or higher, magna cum laude; and those with a 3.5 or higher, cum laude. These designations appear on the official transcript and on the diploma.

Rules and Regulations

Grading System

The following grades are assigned: A (superior), B (above average), C (average), D (below average), P (pass), I (incomplete), F (failure), W (withdrew), AU (audit), MG (missing grade), and NG (course still in progress).

Policy on Incomplete Grades. Undergraduate students who are doing passing work but who, because of serious illness or other legitimate extenuating circumstances, cannot complete their course work may, at the discretion of the instructor, receive a grade of I (incomplete). Incompletes will not be granted without an exceptionally good reason to students who have been absent excessively during the term nor to students who have merely failed to complete course work.

When the instructor grants an incomplete, a Record of Incomplete form must be completed and filed in the office of the undergraduate dean. This form, which is signed by the instructor and student, specifies what must be done to remove the incomplete and gives a deadline for the completion of the unfinished work. The contract is attached to the course grade report for inclusion in the student’s official file in the Office of the Registrar.

The incomplete grade will remain on the student record for no more than one year. After that time, unless the course work is completed or the instructor is able to assign a grade, the Office of the Registrar will change the I to an F. Students with more than nine credits of I will not be permitted to enroll in courses at the University without the permission of the office of the collegiate dean.

Pass-Fail Option. Subject to certain restrictions, each college allows students to take a limited number of courses on a pass-fail basis. For regular term courses the request must be made in writing to the collegiate advising office within the first three weeks of the term. For short courses, including summer terms, the deadlines are based on one day for each week of class time; for example, a request must be made within the first six days of a six-week term. Deadlines for declaring this option are not subject to change. For further limitations imposed by a particular college, consult the office of the collegiate dean. Grades of C or better in such courses will be recorded as P (pass). Grades of D will be recorded as D and grades of F as F and are calculated in the grade point average. In a limited number of courses the only grade offered is Pass/D-F.

Grade Point Averaging. Grade points are computed as follows: four points for each semester hour of A, three points for each semester hour of B, two points per hour of C, one point per hour of D, and 0 points for F. The University offers a limited number of courses graded as P/D/F only, with no option for an A, B, or other letter grade.

To determine a grade point average, total number of semester hours attempted at The University of Tulsa are divided into the total number of grade points earned at The University of Tulsa, except: (1) hours earned with a grade of P and grades designated as I, AU, or N are omitted from this calculation, and (2) only the last grade earned when a course has been repeated is used in the grade point calculation.

Repeating a Course. An undergraduate student may repeat a course up to two times and will be charged the usual fees each time. Students are not allowed to repeat a course in which they have an “incomplete” pending. Additional repeating of a course may be allowed only with written approval from the dean of the student’s college of enrollment. When a course is repeated, only the most recent grade earned in the course will be
included when calculating the student’s cumulative grade point average.

Honor Rolls. At the end of the fall and spring semesters, the President’s Honor Roll and the Dean’s Honor Roll are determined based on current semester grades only. For the Dean’s Honor Roll, the student must have at least twelve graded hours and at least a 3.500 term grade point average. The President’s Honor Roll requires at least twelve graded hours and a term grade point average of 4.000. Graded hours include grades of A, B, C, D, and F. Passes and incompletes are not included in graded hours. The University does not round up grade point averages for these criteria to be met.

Excused Absences

Students who participate in an officially sanctioned, scheduled activity shall be given an opportunity to make up exams or other assignments that are missed as a result of this participation. The manner in which missed tests or other assignments are made up is left to the discretion of each individual faculty member; however, students shall not be penalized and should be informed of the instructor’s makeup policy, preferably in writing, at the beginning of each semester. It is the responsibility of the student to make arrangements with the instructor prior to the scheduled exam or other missed assignment. Only absences reported by the Registrar to the faculty will be considered excused.

Students who are absent for personal reasons (e.g., contagious illness requiring quarantine, significant hospitalization, a death in the immediate family) are covered by the Absence Notification Policy of the Center for Student Academic Support which may be found on the CSAS website at All absences are considered on a case-by-case basis by the instructor in accordance with the policies of the academic unit and college.


Students who elect to audit a course will have all the responsibilities and privileges of students taking the course for credit, except those of taking the final examination or receiving credit for the course. Auditors who have completed all other requirements for a course may elect to take the course for credit at any time within the first three weeks of a regular semester if the course instructor and the college dean give their permission. The schedule for auditing courses during the summer term should be obtained from the Office of the Registrar.

Students originally enrolled in a course for credit may elect to change their status to that of auditor at any time within the first three weeks of a regular semester if they are passing the course at the time that the change in status is requested, and if they secure the consent of the course instructor. Students must complete a drop/add form and secure permission from the collegiate dean in order to make such a change.

Students who enroll in a course for audit but fail to attend the class may be withdrawn at the request of the instructor and the approval of the academic dean. The University’s normal refund policy for withdrawals will apply.


Voluntary Withdrawal from the University. Official withdrawal from the University requires a standard procedure originated through the office of the collegiate dean. It is financially and academically advantageous to students to follow the official withdrawal procedure. Students withdrawing prior to the start of the seventh week of a regular semester are entitled to a partial refund of tuition calculated from the date of their official withdrawal. Withdrawals from the University are not permitted after the twelfth week of a regular semester. Nonattendance of classes does not constitute official withdrawal.

Medical/Psychological Withdrawals or Leaves of Absence. Students wishing to withdraw or take a leave of absence from the University based on a medical or psychological reason should contact the Center for Student Academic Support to discuss their reasons for seeking a withdrawal or a leave of absence, the medical documentation required, their plans while on leave, and to work out any conditions that may be necessary for an easier transition back to The University of Tulsa. It should be noted that a student may voluntarily withdraw before the twelfth week of classes through the normal withdrawal process. The complete policies are available at the Center for Student Academic Support or online at

“W” grades will be assigned to all classes for the current semester if a medical/psychological withdrawal is granted. Students who have not completed the process will be assigned permanent grades by the instructor. Retroactive grade changes are not permitted.

The Center for Student Academic Support will maintain all documentation in confidential student files and will provide verification of appropriate documentation as needed. A medical/psychological withdrawal does not negate the student’s financial responsibility to the University. Students should contact the Bursar’s Office, Housing and Dining, and/or Student Financial Services regarding outstanding fees, bills, refunds and other charges related to their enrollment or withdrawal.

Withdrawal from the University for Military Service. Students who are called to active military duty at any time during their enrollment will be eligible for a full refund or credit of their tuition for the semester of their withdrawal. Students are strongly encouraged to discuss their situation with their academic advisor to consider alternate arrangements. For example, students who are called to report for active duty near the end of a semester may choose to take “incompletes” in their courses, rather than repeating the entire semester when they return to the University. The University will work closely with students to minimize the impact a withdrawal will have on their academic progress. All students called to active military duty are required to meet with the Veteran’s Coordinator in the Office of the Registrar.

Non-voluntary Withdrawal from the University. Students may be required to withdraw from the University for habitual absence from class, habitual idleness, or any other behavior that prevents them from fulfilling the purposes implied by their registration in the University. A grade of “W” will be entered for each of the courses in which a student is registered. Students who have been required to withdraw must apply for readmission to their dean in the same manner as that required of a suspended student.

Voluntary Withdrawal from a Course. Withdrawal from a course prior to the start of the fourth week of a regular semester is considered a cancellation of enrollment, and the course is not shown on students’ academic records.

Withdrawal from a course after the start of the fourth week and up to and including the twelfth week of a regular semester will be considered a partial enrollment for which a grade of W (withdrew) will be recorded.

Withdrawals are not permitted after the end of the twelfth week of a regular semester. The schedule for withdrawal from courses and refund of tuition is printed in the schedule of courses for each semester. Any formal withdrawal shall constitute a forfeiture of any and all right to the subsequent make-up of incomplete grades.

Non-voluntary Withdrawal from a Course. Students may be withdrawn from a course for habitual behavior which prevents the student or other students from fulfilling the purposes implied by registration in the University. A grade of “W” will be entered for the course in which the student was registered.

Transfer of Records

The Office of the Registrar will forward official transcripts to other institutions or prospective employers when requested in writing the student. Transcripts will not be issued for students who have not met their financial obligations to the University.

The University does not issue unofficial transcripts or copies of transcripts from other institutions.

Reading Days

No academic activities including classes, labs, or assignments will be scheduled during designated reading days prior to final exams at the end of each semester.

Academic Honesty

In keeping with the intellectual ideals, standards for community, and educational mission of the University, students are expected to adhere to all academic policies. Cheating on examinations, plagiarism, and other forms of academic dishonesty violate both individual honor and the life of the community, and may subject students to penalties including failing grades, dismissal, and other disciplinary actions.

Academic misconduct also includes unauthorized or inappropriate use of University computers, vandalism of data files or equipment, use of computer resources for personal reasons unrelated to the academic and research activities of the University, plagiarism, violation of proprietary agreements, theft, tampering with the programs and data of other users, and inappropriate behavior that unreasonably interferes with the educational process and the rights of others to pursue their educational goals.

Specific policies exist in the various colleges in addition to the overall University policies published in this Bulletin and other campus policy guides.