May 18, 2024  
2021-2022 Undergraduate Bulletin 
2021-2022 Undergraduate Bulletin [ARCHIVED BULLETIN]

College of Engineering and Natural Sciences Academic Policies

Return to The College of Engineering and Natural Sciences .

Students enrolled in the College of Engineering and Natural Sciences must follow all University academic policies  as well as College-specific academic policies.

All previous education presented to the College of Engineering and Natural Sciences must conform to applicable University requirements and is subject to the following special requirements:

  • Upper-level engineering courses normally do not transfer from schools that are not accredited by ABET (Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology).
  • Final/official transfer evaluations will be based on specific balance sheets current at the time of a student’s first enrollment and will not necessarily apply to another curriculum if the student changes majors.
  • International students and others who apply for advanced standing credit for studies completed at foreign institutions must present certified English translations of transcripts or their equivalents from all foreign institutions attended.

Documents and transcripts from foreign institutions are subject to individual review and interpretation. It is not unusual to require international students to validate coursework of unknown quality by examination and to repeat courses in areas where knowledge appears inadequate. Credit for work completed at a foreign institution is always subject to review and reassessment because of differences in accrediting practices, grading methods and customs, and course content. Such credit is normally recorded as total hours of advanced standing for a specific curriculum and will not necessarily apply to another curriculum.

Permission to transfer additional junior college hours will be granted only if there are extenuating circumstances that prevent the student from taking a similar course at The University of Tulsa. Students who want permission to transfer additional junior college hours should submit a written request to the associate dean for academic affairs before enrolling at a junior college. The extenuating circumstances that make the transfer of the additional hours necessary should be spelled out clearly in the written request. The fact that a course may be easier at a junior college does not qualify as extenuating circumstances.

In all programs in the College of Engineering and Natural Sciences, students must maintain an overall minimum grade point average of 2.0 as well as a 2.0 or higher in their major courses, as defined by the individual academic unit. In addition, certain programs also require minimum grade point average and completion time limits after admission on specified foundation courses. These requirements are spelled out in the program requirements.

Students wishing to change majors must satisfy the foundation course requirements (if any) of their new major and receive permission of the academic unit chair in their new major.

Students typically complete ENGL 1033 Exposition and Argumentation   or FS 1963 First Seminar I  during their first semester in residence, followed by ENGL 3003 Writing for the Professions  in the junior year. However, some incoming students will be placed in ENGL 1004 Introduction to College Writing  in order to provide them with additional skills necessary for college-level writing. These students will complete ENGL 1004  and ENGL 1033  (or FS 1963  ) in their first two semesters in residence, followed by ENGL 3003  in the junior year.

Pass/D-F Grading

Students enrolled in the College of Engineering and Natural Sciences may complete up to 18 semester hours of coursework offered by other colleges on a Pass/D-F basis, but no more than 4 hours in any given semester. Engineering and science majors may not take courses offered by the College of Engineering and Natural Sciences Pass/D-F. Engineering and science majors may not take ENGL 1004 , ENGL 1033 , FS 1963  , or ENGL 3003  Pass/D-F. Engineering and science majors may not take any courses designated HON or GLSC on a Pass/D-F basis. A course in the College of Engineering and Natural Sciences which is graded only on a Pass/D-F basis (such as an introduction to the major) is not considered part of the 18-hour total. A student on a semester Study Abroad may be allowed to take more than one course Pass/D-F, subject to approvals by the Center for Global Engagement and the College. A course previously taken for a letter grade may not be repeated on a Pass/D-F basis.


  • Freshmen and sophomores on probation and students with grade point averages lower than 2.0 at the end of their sophomore year must repeat certain courses for which a D grade is recorded during their next academic term in residence, provided the courses are in the official schedule of courses for that term. Courses to be repeated are specified by the student’s advisor.
  • A grade of F in any required mathematics, science, or professional engineering course requires repetition at the next opportunity while the student is in residence. The advisor may require repetition of any course prerequisite to the courses failed.

Tulsa Curriculum, Human/Cultural/Gender Diversity, and Electives

  • The core courses in the Honors Program are credited to the student’s general curriculum requirement. Students may choose to do independent research as part of their Honors Plan. In that case, a student’s directed research is applied either as elective or as major required hours.
  • Students may choose to take two semesters of a single foreign language and apply them as Block I and Block II credits.
  • To support and emphasize the commitment of both the college and university to human, cultural, and gender diversity as outlined in the university’s mission statement, the College of Engineering and Natural Sciences requires all students earning a bachelor’s degree to complete one block or elective course that addresses human, cultural and gender diversity. Courses that are approved to meet this requirement may be found here .
  • Most courses at The University of Tulsa may be taken for general elective credit, except for MUS 0020-1  in fall semesters only. In addition, no more than three one-credit-hour music courses may apply toward a degree.