Jul 13, 2024  
2014-2015 Graduate Bulletin 
2014-2015 Graduate Bulletin [ARCHIVED BULLETIN]

Tuition and Fees

Unless indicated otherwise, figures in this section are for the fall semester of 2014 and are subject to change without notice at the beginning of any semester or summer term.


Tuition per semester hour $1,120.00


Fees are in addition to the tuition shown above.

Graduate School application fee, nonrefundable $55.00
Thesis and Dissertation Fees:  
  Binding (3 required copies) $57.00
  UMI Publication (required for doctoral students) $65.00
  Copyright (optional) $55.00
Art supply fee, nonrefundable, varies by course $15.00 - 200.00
Chemistry laboratory fee, nonrefundable $10.00 - 100.00
Community fee $100.00
Film production lab fee, nonrefundable, varies by course $50.00 - 100.00
(Required for all students enrolled in film production courses, both film majors and non-film majors.)
ID card replacement fee $15.00
International Student Services fees:  
  Fall semester, nonrefundable $180.00
  Spring semester, nonrefundable $180.00
  Summer term, nonrefundable $100.00
Parking permit fees  
Parking permits are required of all students, faculty, and staff (part-time, full-time, day, and evening) who park motor vehicles on University property.
  Automobiles, per year Contact ID/Parking Center for current fees
  Motorcycles and mopeds, per year $25.00
  Bicycles Free
Placement fee $5.00
Professional liability insurance, per year $17.50
Professional liability insurance is required for students in communication disorders courses.
Student Association fee, 9 or more credit hours $60.00
Student Association fee, 1-8 credit hours $5.00
Student Health Insurance  
Student health insurance is required of all part-time and full-time students. An optout provision is available. Visit https://www.aetnastudenthealth.com/stu_conn/student_connection.aspx?GroupID=846521.
  Single student, annual rate $1,220.00
  Student and spouse, annual rate $4,308.00
  Student and children, annual rate $3,385.00
  Student, spouse, and children, annual rate $6,473.00

Payment of Accounts

It is the student’s responsibility to ensure that all educational expenses are paid during the semester in which they are incurred. If financial aid does not cover all of the student’s expenses, the student may pay the balance in full or participate in The University of Tulsa’s monthly payment plan. Contact the University Bursar’s Office, 918-631-2600, or visit https://utulsa.edu/bursar to obtain information regarding the monthly payment plan. A nominal fee will be assessed to establish a monthly payment plan.

Payment of current semester charges or payment arrangements must be made by 5:00 p.m. on the first day of classes. Payment arrangements may include the monthly payment plan, pending financial aid, or a combination. Payments not made when due will be subject to a finance charge of 1.5% per month.

Currently enrolled students with an unpaid balance may be eligible to enroll in a subsequent semester provided that:

  • The student balance is not in excess of $5,000.00;
  • The student balance includes current semester charges only; and
  • The student has established a University-approved payment plan, at least one payment of that plan has been processed, and the terms of the payment plan allow for payment in full of the current unpaid balance by the start of the semester in which the student wishes to be enrolled.

A failed payment plan will result in cancellation of enrollment. If the account remains unpaid, the University reserves the right to suspend or withdraw the student from classes; to withhold grades, transcripts, and diplomas; deny future enrollments; and to require the student to move from student housing.

The University accepts charges on valid Visa, MasterCard, American Express, or Discover credit cards.


If a student withdraws from his/her courses at the University, he/she may receive reduction of tuition based upon the following schedule. The reduction shall be calculated from the date on which application for withdrawal is processed. Housing and dining cancellations are processed separately based on written notice to the Housing Office. The University shall follow federally mandated refund schedules as they apply. Failure to attend classes does not constitute an official withdrawal or drop.

Refund Schedule for Fall and Spring Semesters

First day of classes 100%
Day 2 through end of first week 90%
Second and third week 50%
Fourth through seventh week. 25%
Remainder of semester 0%

Financial aid recipients receiving refunds will have their refunds returned to the proper aid accounts as determined by the Student Financial Services Office pursuant to Federal guidelines. The prescribed order of refund distribution is to FFEL programs, Federal Perkins Loan program, Federal Pell Grant Program, and to other Student Financial Aid Programs.

Insurance and Immunization Requirements

Student Health Insurance. All students enrolled at The University of Tulsa are required to have health insurance coverage which provides for benefits in the State of Oklahoma. A student may obtain required coverage by purchasing health insurance coverage offered through the University, or obtain coverage provided through another carrier, such as coverage under a dependent student’s parent’s policy, as long as that coverage provides benefits for claims made in Oklahoma. If a student has a spouse and/or dependents, the student may add coverage for them under the policy offered through the University.

This approach to health insurance coverage helps to ensure that all enrolled students have access to health care, especially as increasing numbers of TU students come from outside of Oklahoma. To help ensure coverage, all students will have the cost of the coverage available through the University added to their University bill each semester. However, the charge will be removed from the student’s account upon verification of other appropriate coverage. Verification must be received annually by September 15th for students enrolling in the fall semester and January 31st for students enrolling for the first time in the spring semester.

Student Renter’s Insurance. Renter’s insurance is recommended for all students living in on campus or other away-from-home accommodations. In many cases, parents’ homeowner policies will cover expenses related to dependents’ expenses in external locations. However, it is wise to conduct an insurance review to assure that a student has the appropriate amount of coverage.

Immunization Policy. State law requires that all students who attend Oklahoma colleges and universities provide written documentation of immunization against hepatitis B, and measles, mumps and rubella (MMR). Students who reside in on-campus housing are also required to be immunized against meningococcal (meningitis) disease. For more information on health services and immunization requirements, visit https://utulsa.edu/alexander-health-center or call the Alexander Health Center at 918-631-2241.

Parking and Bicycle Permits

All University students, faculty, and staff must register motor vehicles and bicycles that are to be parked or utilized on University parking lots, streets or bicycle racks. Parking permits and copies of parking regulations may be obtained from the Parking and Card Services office located in Fisher Hall. Parking fees are specified on above and at www.utulsa.edu/parking.

TU One Card

The Parking and Card Services office in Fisher Hall issues identification cards to all students and University employees. The cards are required for admission to the campus libraries, dining hall, residence halls, labs, selected classrooms and other facilities. Whenever students are on University property or at University events, they are required to carry their TU One Card and to present it to University officials to verify their identity. ID cards may not be loaned to anyone at any time. Disciplinary action will be taken against a student who fraudulently uses another’s card, and against a cardholder who permits fraudulent use of his or her card.

The TU One Card is used for admission to Student Association-sponsored programs and University athletic events. All students at The University of Tulsa are allowed one free student ticket to each athletic event. Students must present their valid University of Tulsa ID and ticket for admittance to athletic events. For more information regarding the  athletic event ticket policy, visit www.tulsahurricane.com/tickets/tickets-students.html.

Hurricane Gold Dollars

Hurricane Gold Dollars is a safe and convenient option for on- and off-campus dining and shopping. Hurricane Gold Dollars reduces the need to carry or keep cash on hand. It is a non-interest-bearing declining balance convenience account, not a credit card or a checking account, and is tied to a student’s TU One Card. Hurricane Gold Dollars may be used at all campus dining locations, at the bookstore, in vending machines and at many off-campus merchants and restaurants.

Purchases are deducted from the student’s account when the ID card is swiped at the register. When the deposited limit is reached, a student may add funds to the card by simply prepaying an amount ($25.00 or more) into the student’s Hurricane Gold Dollars account at the Parking and Card Services office in Fisher Hall or in the Bursar’s Office in McClure Hall. Students may also log on to www.MyGoldDollars.com.

Banking regulations and University policy prohibit cash withdrawals during the academic year, but remaining balances are fully refundable at the end of the spring semester or upon withdrawal from the University. Requests for withdrawal of funds must be presented in writing.

If a student loses a TU One Card, especially when there is money in his or her Hurricane Gold or Dining Dollars account, he or she should notify the Parking and Card Services office immediately. The student will be responsible for all transactions made by the student or by anyone else who uses the card, even if lost. However, to minimize loss, a $20.00 per day spending limit has been established for all vending locations. The Parking and Card Services office will instantly change the account number to protect the account from unauthorized use and will issue a replacement TU One Card. The fee for a replacement card is specified in the table above.

Loss of an ID after normal business hours can be reported to any Hurricane Gold location with a cash register - e.g., the Hut or Pat Case Dining Center - which can “lock out” use of the missing card. Then, when the Parking and Card Services office reopens, the account number can be changed and the account reactivated. If this is not convenient, the student should leave a message on the voice mail at the Parking and Card Services office. Invalidation of the card will occur on the morning of the next business day. The University of Tulsa is not responsible for cash balances of lost cards.