Jul 22, 2024  
2014-2015 Graduate Bulletin 
2014-2015 Graduate Bulletin [ARCHIVED BULLETIN]

The Graduate School

Graduate education at The University of Tulsa is based upon the principles that no objective lies deeper in a university’s tradition than the nurture of scholarship, and that graduate education represents the highest reaches of university endeavor.

The Board of Trustees authorized graduate study leading to the master’s degree in 1933. The first master’s degree was granted in 1935. The Board of Trustees approved a curriculum leading to the Doctor of Education degree in 1951.

A Doctor of Philosophy program was authorized by the Board of Trustees in 1963; Ph.D. curricula in petroleum engineering, chemical engineering, English, and earth sciences (geosciences) were inaugurated and given preliminary accreditation by North Central Association in 1966, with full accreditation in 1972. The industrial/ organizational psychology doctoral program was inaugurated in 1983, followed in 1985 by the Ph.D. program in mechanical engineering. In 1987 the doctoral programs in biological sciences and computer science were approved by the Graduate Council; and, in 1988, the Ph.D. in counseling psychology program (initiated in 1985) underwent a name change to clinical psychology. Since 2008, Ph.D. programs have been added in chemistry, physics, anthropology, mathematics, and computer engineering.

The Graduate School supervises all graduate work offered by the University except that of the College of Law (College of Law information is published in a separate bulletin). The Graduate School sets standards for admission to graduate standing and recommends to the Board of Trustees for degrees those students who have completed work required for graduation.

The general policies and regulations of the Graduate School are set and enforced by the Graduate Council and the Dean of the Graduate School, subject to approval by the University administration. The Dean is chair of the Council, which consists of graduate faculty members elected from each college, the deans of the colleges offering graduate work, and the president of the Graduate Student Association. Council faculty members must hold at least the academic rank of associate professor.

Functions of the Graduate Council include:

  • Development of policies and procedures for the Graduate School and the recommendation of these policies and procedures to the administration.
  • Establishment of regulations for the administration of policies and procedures.
  • Examination and approval, or rejection, of new programs and curricula proposed for the Graduate School.
  • Development of criteria for membership in the graduate faculty.
  • General concern for the Graduate School’s welfare and the quality of work offered.
  • Recommendation to the Dean of the Graduate School concerning the disposition of cases filed by a student or faculty involving charges of academic misconduct involving graduate students, or perceived academic impropriety arising from an action taken by faculty. (See Petition Committee of the Graduate Council for details.)
  • Hearing of graduate student petitions that request departure from established Graduate School policies and a resultant recommendation to the Dean of the Graduate School. (See Petition Committee of the Graduate Council for details.)


Master of Arts. Specializing in anthropology, art, clinical psychology, education, English language and literature, history, museum science and management, women’s and gender studies, and industrial-organizational psychology.

Master of Science. Specializing in biochemistry, biological science, chemistry, computer science, engineering physics, geophysics, geosciences, math/science education, applied mathematics, physics, and speech/language pathology.

Master of Science in Engineering. Specializing in chemical engineering, electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, and petroleum engineering.

Master of Engineering. Specializing in chemical engineering, electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, and petroleum engineering.

Master of Accountancy.

Master of Business Administration.

Master of Energy Business, online.

Master of Science in Finance.

Master of Business Administration/Master of Science in Computer Science. A joint degree program.

Master of Business Administration/Master of Science in Finance. A joint degree program.

Master of Science in Finance/Master of Science in Applied Mathematics. A joint degree program.

Master of Teaching Arts. Offered through the School of Education in cooperation with individual disciplines and secondary education specialties.

Master of Fine Arts. A 60 credit-hour program specializing in art.

Master of Education.

Doctor of Philosophy. Specializing in anthropology, biological science, chemical engineering, chemistry, clinical psychology, computer engineering, computer science, English language and literature, geosciences, industrial-organizational psychology, mathematics, mechanical engineering, petroleum engineering, and physics.

The University offers its undergraduates the option to participate in combined Bachelor’s/Master’s degree programs, which give students the opportunity to complete both degrees in a reduced amount of time. These combined degree programs are currently available in accountancy, applied mathematics, biochemistry, biology, chemical engineering, chemistry, engineering physics, geosciences, history, women’s and gender studies, and physics.

The University also offers joint programs between the Graduate School and the College of Law leading to a Juris Doctor/Master of Arts (specializing in anthropology, clinical psychology, English language and literature, history, or industrial-organizational psychology), Juris Doctor/Master of Business Administration, and Juris Doctor/Master of Science (specializing in biological science, finance, computer science, and geosciences).


The majority of graduate programs at the University are, by purpose and design, not large. The number of students admitted each year is restricted to those with high qualifications. Admission to certain degree programs may be limited due to available resources and academic requirements.

An applicant must hold a baccalaureate or higher degree from a college or university approved by a recognized regional accrediting agency. Applicants, having selected a major field of study, must meet requirements set by the major program and the Graduate School. Such applicants whose academic work has been superior are admitted upon approval by the major program administration and the Dean of the Graduate School.

A grade point average of at least 3.0 on a 4.0 scale in the undergraduate major is generally required, but requirements may vary between programs and may be higher than 3.0. Fitness of character may also be considered.

Each student must satisfy course prerequisites for the graduate program before being officially admitted to the degree program. The major program advisor and the Dean of the Graduate School may approve conditional admission, but a student is usually required to remove all such conditions before beginning the course of study leading to a graduate degree, except in some cases when a limited number of undergraduate courses are required to satisfy deficiencies.

Applicants for admission to most graduate programs must take the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) General Tests. Applicants for admission to graduate programs in the College of Business Administration must take the Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT).

Information regarding times and places where the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) General Tests are given is available from the Educational Testing Service, 609-771-7670, or www.ets.org. Information regarding times and places where the GMAT is given is available by calling 1-800-717-4628 or www.mba.com.

A University of Tulsa undergraduate student with a distinguished academic record may enroll in graduate work in the final year before graduation or through admission to a combined bachelor’s/master’s degree program. The student must apply for admission to the Graduate School and be approved by the Dean of the Graduate School to enroll in graduate courses. Enrollment must be approved by the major program advisor as well as each individual course instructor and is governed by individual qualifications and course loads. Enrollment is limited to one 5000- or 7000- level course per semester; however, undergraduate students admitted to a combined bachelor’s/master’s degree program are permitted to enroll in up to six credit hours of 5000- or 7000-level courses per semester. Any exception to this requires the approval of the Graduate Dean. The student must use the graduate course number when enrolling in a course for graduate credit.

International Applicants

International applicants must hold a degree comparable to a regionally accredited U.S. bachelor’s degree and must have a strong academic performance comparable to a “B” or above average grades. We use your institution’s grading scale and do not necessarily convert your grades to a four point scale. Transcripts sent to the Graduate School must be accompanied by a certified English translation, and a clear explanation of the grading system used at the institution. If an applicant is admitted, an I-20 will not be issued until a letter of financial support is provided by the applicant and/or the sponsor.

Applicants for whom English is not their first language must take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) by arrangement with the Educational Testing Service, 609-921-9000 or www.toefl.org. The University of Tulsa will not accept Institutional TOEFL scores to satisfy English proficiency requirements, with the exception of its own Institutional TOEFL. If, however, the student has received his or her degree from a university in a country where English is the primary language, the TOEFL may be waived, upon petition, at the discretion of the Graduate School.

The minimum TOEFL score accepted by The University of Tulsa for international applicants is 80 on the internet-based exam or 550 on the paper exam for programs offered in engineering and natural sciences and 90 on the internet-based exam or 575 on the paper exam for all other programs. Individual graduate programs may require minimum TOEFL scores higher than those stated above. Carefully review information about individual program admission requirements.

Applicants may also submit a test score from the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) www.ielts.org in order to fulfill the English proficiency requirement. The minimum IELTS score accepted by The University of Tulsa for international applicants is 6.0 for programs offered in engineering and natural sciences and 6.5 for all other programs, although some individual graduate programs may require minimum IELTS scores higher than those stated above.

All international graduate students must check-in with the International Student Services Office upon first arriving on campus, prior to enrolling for each semester, and prior to departing the country for vacation, professional conferences, or upon degree completion. The Graduate School will not enroll an international graduate student on a student visa unless the student is approved for enrollment by the International Student Services Office. Failure to meet routinely with the International Student Services Office may adversely affect an international student’s visa status.

English Institute Admission

Admission to the English Institute for International Students (EIIS) is open to all students who wish to improve their English proficiency. Those interested in attending the Institute should contact the English Institute for International Students directly by phone at 918-631-2535 or visit their website, then submit an application and the $35 application fee. Eight-week sessions are available year-round. EIIS students are eligible for University housing.

Admission to the English Institute for International Students does not guarantee a student admission to academic programs at the University.

Special Student Status

It is possible to apply to the Graduate School as a special student. Admission to the Graduate School as a special student is outside of any graduate program; it is understood that enrollment as a special student does not lead to a graduate degree. Students are admitted to this category for certificate programs, general course work or transfer purposes. Special students are required to meet the regular admission standards of the Graduate School.

If the special student applies and is officially admitted to a degree program, six hours of course work taken as a special student may be applied toward a master’s degree and up to 12 hours of course work taken as a special student may be applied toward a doctoral degree.

General Admission Procedures

All students seeking admission to the Graduate School must follow these steps:

  • Make application on a form provided by the Graduate School or electronically on the application at the Graduate School website: www.utulsa.edu/graduate.
  • Submit a nonrefundable processing fee of $55 with each application. (This fee is waived for graduates of The University of Tulsa or those who are participants in the Ronald E. McNair Scholars program).
  • Submit official transcripts of all college- or university-level work. (Transcripts submitted with an application become the property of the University and will not be returned to the applicant.)
  • Submit all required standardized test scores at time of application.
  • Submit three letters of recommendation.
  • International students must submit a letter of financial support at the time of application.
  • Applicant’s character, integrity, and general fitness to practice a particular profession may also be considered in the admissions process.

Normally, two weeks are required to process an application after all materials have been received in the Graduate School Office. However, in the case of international students requiring visas, at least three months should be allowed.

The Graduate School maintains ownership of all application and application-related documents and these materials cannot be returned to the applicant. Applications and transcripts will be held on file, and admission will be valid for one calendar year. Unless the Graduate School Office is instructed otherwise, application credentials will be destroyed if enrollment is not completed within one calendar year.

Students admitted provisionally are expected to fulfill all of their provisional conditions within the first semester of graduate study.

Immunization Regulations

Due to Oklahoma state legislation, all students who attend Oklahoma colleges and universities must provide proof of immunization against hepatitis B, measles, mumps, and rubella (MMR). Students living in on-campus housing must also provide proof of immunization again meningococcal disease. Medical, religious, and personal exemptions are allowed by law and such requests must be made in writing using The University of Tulsa Certificate of Exemption form. More information about this requirement is available here . Failure to comply with these requirements will result in a hold being placed on future enrollments by the student.


Exceptions to the following policies are rare and are granted only on a case-by-case basis and upon recommendation of the program administration and with the approval of the Dean of the Graduate School.

Full-Time and Part-Time Status

To be considered academically full time, a graduate student must be enrolled in at least nine credit hours on the Friday that concludes the second week of classes during a regular semester (fall and spring semesters). Enrollment in PSY 8800 “Psychology Internship” is also considered full-time enrollment. Enrollment in zero (as is the case when enrolled in 7990 - “Final Enrollment”) to eight credit hours is acceptable for full-time status for two sequential regular semesters in a master’s program or four sequential semesters in a doctoral program when the student has completed at least nine credit hours per semester for the prior two sequential regular semesters. If a student does not complete his/her degree within these two reduced-credit-hour semesters for a master’s student or four reduced-credit-hour semesters for a doctoral student, then the student will be disqualified from further reduced-credit-hour full-time status until the student has enrolled in at least nine credits per semester for two sequential regular semesters.

A student may enroll in up to 12 credit hours during a regular semester and eight credit hours during a summer term. However, students with full-time jobs are normally limited to a maximum of six credit hours during fall and spring semesters. For financial aid purposes, half-time enrollment is enrollment in a minimum of five credit hours during the fall and spring semesters.

Enrollment in zero to eight credit hours other than as described above constitutes part-time enrollment.

Graduate students who are not United States residents and are attending the University on a student visa must be enrolled prior to the first day of classes and must be full-time students as required by federal regulations.


Graduate enrollment for the summer and fall terms usually begins in April. Spring term enrollment begins in early November. Enrollment (including the addition of any courses to existing enrollment) will close at 5:00 p.m. on Tuesday of the second week of classes for the fall and spring semesters. Enrollment cards for all degree-seeking students should be obtained from, and completed with the assistance of, the appropriate graduate program advisor. The card should then be presented to the Graduate School Office for final approval. Special (non-degree-seeking) students should obtain their enrollment cards in the Graduate School Office. Special students must secure the signature of the appropriate instructor for each graduate course in which they wish to enroll. Online enrollment is currently available to approved students in graduate degree programs in the arts, humanities, and social sciences.

A student must be enrolled to make use of University resources (e.g., library or faculty time) during the fall or spring semester. No student may attend classes after the first class session, take qualifying exams, comprehensive exams, or graduate during a semester unless properly enrolled. Any graduate student who has enrolled in the required number of hours for a degree but has not finished all requirements must enroll in Graduate Residency.

Failure to enroll for one or more semesters without an approved leave of absence may require an application for readmission to the degree program if the six-year Statute of Limitations has expired for the student’s course work.

The last day of the semester is the day prior to graduation for the fall and spring semesters and the last day of classes during the summer semester, unless indicated otherwise by the instructor.

Graduate Residency (7961)

When a student has enrolled in the required number of hours for the degree but has not finished all requirements for the degree, he or she enrolls in Graduate Residency (7961). This requirement is particularly applicable, but not restricted, to the semester in which the student completes work for the degree.

If a student is not enrolled in course work but wishes to make use of University resources (e.g., library or faculty time), to complete other academic milestones required by the program or Graduate School (e.g., take a qualifying or comprehensive examination, have an oral defense of a thesis or dissertation), or to be considered for graduation during a given semester, the student must be enrolled in Graduate Residency (7961).

Final Enrollment (7990)

Students who enrolled in a semester and complete their degree requirements after the end of that semester, but before the start of the next semester are required to enroll in Final Enrollment (7990). There is no charge for enrollment in 7990. Students may only enroll in 7990 after all of the requirements for the degree have been met.

Circumstances where enrollment in Final Enrollment 7990 is applicable:

  • Students who submit their thesis or dissertation after commencement but before the beginning of classes for the next semester.
  • Non-thesis students who have taken all required courses for the degree but received an “Incomplete” in one or more courses.
  • Students who are transferred by their employer prior to their last semester at The University of Tulsa, and successfully petition the Graduate School to attend another accredited institution to complete their degree program. The credits are then transferred to appear on the student’s University of Tulsa transcript as prescribed in the transfer credit policy (see Transfer Credit).

If the student does not satisfy any of the above three conditions for enrolling in Final Enrollment, they will need to enroll in at least one hour of Graduate Residency or Thesis/Dissertation.

Undergraduate Courses for Graduate Credit (4000/6000)

In some programs, upper-level undergraduate courses, designated in this Bulletin by 6000-level course numbers, may be taken for graduate credit with the approval of the graduate program advisor. Students enrolled in these courses for graduate credit will be given assignments beyond those required for undergraduate students in the same course. Students who have previously enrolled in a course at the 4000-level may not enroll in the same course at the 6000-level.

The faculty responsible for the program must submit a written justification for any master’s degree program containing more than 40 percent of its total credit hours (excluding the removal of deficiencies) in 6000-level courses. Such justification must be approved by the Dean of the Graduate School.

Undergraduate courses taken for graduate credit must be 6000-level courses approved for registration. Graduate tuition must be paid for such courses.

Graduate Courses for Undergraduate Credit (7000/5000)

The University has select graduate courses taught at the 7000-level that are cross-listed at the 5000-level and may be taken by undergraduates for undergraduate credit with the approval of the undergraduate program advisor, the instructor of the course, and the graduate program advisor for the discipline in which the course is offered. This option is intended for exceptional undergraduates with at least junior standing, and may be offered in conjunction with a combined bachelor’s/master’s degree program for TU undergraduates. Enrollment is limited to one 5000- or 7000- level course per semester; however, students admitted to a combined bachelor’s/master’s degree program are permitted to enroll in up to six credit hours of 5000- or 7000-level courses per semester while completing their undergraduate degree. Any exception to this requires the approval of the Graduate Dean.

Undergraduate students in a 5000-level course must meet all the requirements and complete all of the same assignments as required for the graduate students in the 7000-level of the course. Undergraduate students are evaluated in exactly the same way as the graduate students in that course.

Students may not receive credit for a course at the 5000-level and then later retake the same course at the 7000-level.


A student may elect to audit a course and will have all the privileges of students taking the course for credit, except taking the final examination or receiving credit for the course. Students must pay the same tuition rate for an audited course as they would if the course was taken for credit. The credit hours from audited courses are not counted when determining a student’s full-time status.

An auditor may elect to take a course for credit at any time within the first three weeks of a regular semester if the course instructor and the Dean of the Graduate School give their permission. The schedule for auditing courses during a summer term should be obtained from the Office of the Registrar.


Voluntary Withdrawal from the University. Official withdrawal from the University requires a standard procedure originating through the Graduate School. It is financially and academically advantageous to students to follow the official withdrawal procedure. Students withdrawing prior to the start of the seventh week of a regular semester are entitled to a partial refund of tuition calculated from the date of their official withdrawal. Nonattendance of classes does not constitute official withdrawal.

Medical/Psychological Withdrawal. Students wishing to withdraw or take a leave of absence from the University based on a medical or psychological reason should contact the Center for Student Academic Support to discuss their reasons for seeking a withdrawal or a leave of absence, the medical documentation required, their plans while on leave, and to work out any conditions that may be necessary for an easier transition back to The University of Tulsa. It should be noted that a student may voluntarily withdraw before the twelfth week of classes through the normal withdrawal process. The complete policies are available at the Center for Student Academic Support or online at www.utulsa.edu/CSAS.

Students should seek clarification from the Graduate School as to how this affects their academic status as a full-time or part-time student. However, the six-year statute of limitations regarding course credit is still in effect. The student should also check with the Office of Student Financial Services or their loan provider regarding the effect of a leave on loan obligations or any other financial aid issues. Any financial support currently being provided to the student may or may not be available upon the student’s return. The student will be responsible for working directly with the Bursar’s Office, Housing Office and any other campus offices regarding how a leave of absence may affect any obligations to those offices.

Withdrawal from the University for Military Service. Students who are called to active military duty at any time during their enrollment will be eligible for a full refund or credit of their tuition for the semester of their withdrawal. Students are strongly encouraged to discuss their situation with their graduate program advisor to consider alternate arrangements. For example, students who are called to report for active duty near the end of a semester may choose to take “incompletes” in their courses, rather than repeating the entire semester when they return to the University. The University will work closely with students to minimize the impact a withdrawal will have on their academic progress. All students called to active military duty are required to meet with the Veteran’s Coordinator in the Office of the Registrar.

Non-voluntary Withdrawal from the University. Students may be required to withdraw from the University for habitual absence from class, habitual idleness, or any other behavior that prevents them from fulfilling the purposes implied by their registration in the University. A grade of “W” will be entered for each of the courses in which a student is registered. Students who have been required to withdraw must apply for readmission to the Graduate School in the same manner as that required of a suspended student.

Voluntary Withdrawal from a Course. Withdrawal from a course prior to the start of the fourth week of a regular semester is considered a cancellation of enrollment, and the course is not shown on students’ academic records.

Withdrawal from a course after the start of the fourth week and up to and including the twelfth week of a regular semester will be considered a partial enrollment for which a grade of W (withdrew) will be recorded.

Withdrawals are not permitted after the end of the twelfth week of a regular semester. The schedule for withdrawal from courses and refund of tuition is printed in the schedule of courses for each semester. Any formal withdrawal shall constitute a forfeiture of any and all right to the subsequent make-up of incomplete grades.

Non-voluntary Withdrawal from a Course. Students may be withdrawn from a class for habitual behavior which prevents the student or other students from fulfilling the purposes implied by registration in the University. A grade of “W” will be entered for the course in which the student was registered.

Transfer Credit

Transfer credit is limited to 6 hours at the master’s level and 12 hours at the doctoral level. Only credit hours are transferable; any grades associated with transferred credit hours will not transfer and will not be included when computing the student’s GPA at The University of Tulsa. The major program advisor is responsible for determining the applicability of transfer work to the student’s program. Any such graduate credit must have been earned at an accredited graduate school and completed within the six-year statute of limitations. Transfer credit will not be granted for any course work with a grade below B. Credit for transfer work will be recommended by the major program advisor to the Graduate School only after the student has completed the same number of credit hours at The University of Tulsa with at least a 3.0 grade-point average. Transfer Credit forms are available in the Graduate School. Course work used to satisfy requirements for one graduate degree may not be used to meet the requirements for a second graduate degree. Credits earned under the Study Abroad program will appear on The University of Tulsa transcript with grades of either “P” or “F”. All transfer credit is subject to final approval by the Dean of the Graduate School.

Transfer of Records

The Office of the Registrar will forward official transcripts to other institutions or prospective employers when requested in writing by students. No transcript is issued for students who have not met their financial obligations to the University. The University does not issue unofficial transcripts or copies of transcripts from other institutions.

Reading Days

No academic activities including classes, labs, or assignments will be scheduled during designated reading days prior to final exams at the end of each semester.

Academic Honesty

In keeping with the intellectual ideals, standards for community, and educational mission of the University, students are expected to adhere to all academic policies. Cheating on examinations, plagiarism, and other forms of academic dishonesty violate both individual honor and the life of the community, and may subject students to penalties ranging from failing grades to dismissal.

Academic misconduct also includes unauthorized or inappropriate use of University computers, vandalism of data files or equipment, use of computer resources for personal reasons unrelated to the academic and research activities of the University, plagiarism, violation of proprietary agreements, theft, or tampering with the programs and data of other users.

Specific policies exist in the various colleges in addition to the overall University policies published in this Bulletin and other campus policy guides.



An overall scholastic average of 3.0 is required in all graduate work taken at The University of Tulsa. All course work taken for graduate credit is computed in the average, including the initial grade in a course that is repeated. Grades earned in the College of Law are not computed in the graduate grade-point average. No graduate credit is earned for a course in which the student received a grade below a C.

Thesis and dissertation enrollments are evaluated on a pass-fail basis. An I (Incomplete) is assigned at the end of each semester when the thesis or dissertation is in progress, but, after consultation with the Graduate School, a grade of F (Fail) may be assigned in place of an I (Incomplete) by the thesis or dissertation advisor if the advisor does not believe that sufficient progress towards completion of the thesis or dissertation is being achieved. The thesis or dissertation supervisor will submit a grade change form when the student has either ceased work on the research or completed all requirements for graduation.

No graduate credit will be given for work receiving a pass/fail grade, with the exception of thesis, dissertation, certain master’s reports, certain College of Law courses, certain internship work, and credit earned through study abroad. A grade of P signifies that graduate work has been completed that would otherwise receive a grade of C or higher. No graduate credit can be awarded for experiential learning that occurs prior to admission into a TU graduate program and which has not been under the supervision of a University of Tulsa faculty member.


An I (Incomplete) grade indicates that some portion of the student’s work is lacking, for an acceptable reason, at the time grades are reported. It is the responsibility of the student to fulfill the requirements for the course within a maximum of one calendar year from the date on which the course was originally to have been completed, or within a more restricted period of time as designated by the instructor on the Contract for Grade of Incomplete. If the student is unable to do so because of circumstances beyond his or her control, the student may petition the instructor of the course and the Dean of the Graduate School for an extension of time.

When the instructor grants an incomplete, a Contract for Grade of Incomplete form must be completed and filed in the Graduate School Office. This form, to be signed by the instructor and by the student, should specify what must be done to remove the incomplete and give a deadline for completion of the unfinished work. The faculty may give a maximum of one calendar year for completion of the work or specify less than one calendar year on the contract. Following the expiration of the contract deadline or one calendar year, if an earlier deadline is not specified, a symbol (IZ) will be added to the transcript indicating that the course is no longer valid and the incomplete may not be removed.

These regulations do not apply to theses, dissertation, or non-coursework enrollments (which includes enrollment in Practicum, Advanced Practicum, Internship, Externship, Project, Report, Research and Paper, Pre-Dissertation Research, Research Experience, Independent Study, Directed Reading, or Qualifying Exam Prep) in which completion of the work necessary to satisfy that enrollment is not required at the end of the semester. An I (Incomplete) is assigned at the end of each semester when thesis, dissertation, or non-coursework enrollments are in progress and adequate progress has been made for that semester. The thesis, dissertation, or non-coursework supervisor will submit a grade change form when the student has successfully completed the work necessary to satisfy that enrollment.

NG Transcript Code

The NG code is assigned in lieu of a grade only when a course does not fit in the timeframe of a regular semester or summer session in the TU academic calendar (e.g. internship, externship, and practicum) and the course is still in progress when grades are due under the regular academic calendar. The faculty member assigning the code of NG will replace the code with a final grade when appropriate, normally when the timeframe for the respective course has been completed.

Certification or Licensure

The process of certification or licensure in some disciplines may require that the graduate student submit to and pass a background check. It is the graduate student’s responsibility to consult with her/his faculty advisor regarding such requirements and to meet such requirements in order to be properly certified or licensed.

Intellectual Property

A student’s research project for the master’s or doctoral degree may result in a patentable discovery, whereby the inventor may be a student or a student and advisor. Timely disclosure of the findings to The University of Tulsa Intellectual Property Committee will not delay a student’s graduation. The University of Tulsa recognizes the potential benefits of the intellectual capital of its faculty, staff and students: to society, to the University, and to themselves. The University has placed a high priority on realizing those benefits.

Technical information, discoveries, inventions, computer algorithms and patents resulting from investigation or research conducted by employees or students of The University of Tulsa which is financed in whole or in part from funds administered by the University, or as a direct result of an employee’s duties or a student’s academic pursuits with the University, or made in whole or in part by the utilization of University resources or facilities, are the property of The University of Tulsa. The intellectual property shall, on request, be assigned to the University or its designee, unless the University relinquishes its rights therein to the inventor. Creators of intellectual property at The University of Tulsa share in the recognition and rewards derived from these works.

Academic Standing

Statute of Limitations

The work for a degree must be completed within six years. This policy remains in effect even if a student is absent or not enrolled during several semesters. A student who allows the time limit to expire and is subsequently readmitted must also meet the new requirements for the degree as stipulated by the program at the time of readmission.

Graduate work more than six years old must be validated by the department for currentness in the discipline. In addition, the student’s knowledge resulting from this graduate work must be determined to be current and the student deemed competent by examinations, or by other means of evaluation at the discretion of the major program.

When all work toward the degree is out-of-date, it is possible to validate six of the out-of-date hours to be applied toward future work on the degree. All petitions for extension must be recommended by the student’s advisor and approved by the Dean of the Graduate School.

A more stringent statute of limitations may be imposed under the particular requirements of individual programs.

Leave of Absence

A leave of absence will be considered for up to one academic year for medical/ psychological or other extenuating circumstances upon submission of a request for a leave of absence to the Dean of the Graduate School. The Graduate School will work with the Center for Student Academic Support to review the request and notify the student if the Dean approves the requested leave. Any medical documentation submitted in support of the request for a leave of absence will be forwarded to the Center for Student Academic Support, which will maintain all documentation in confidential student files.

Students should seek clarification from the Dean of the Graduate School as to how this affects their academic status as a full-time or part-time student. However, the six-year statute of limitations regarding course credit is still in effect. The student should also check with the Office of Student Financial Services or their loan provider regarding the effect of a leave on loan obligations or any other financial aid issues. Any financial support currently being provided to the student may or may not be available upon the student’s return. The student will be responsible for working directly with the Bursar’s Office, Housing Office and any other campus offices regarding how a leave of absence may affect any obligations to those offices.

Probation and Dismissal

Prospective students having a cumulative grade point average below a 3.0 or marginal test scores may be admitted on probation and must establish a 3.0 average in the first nine hours of graduate work and within a specified time period. Additional requirements (e.g. successful completion of deficiency courses, completion of specified graduate courses with specified minimum grades, etc.) may be placed on a student who is admitted probationally. Failure to meet any of the conditions of probation may lead to dismissal from the Graduate School.

Students who have not maintained a 3.0 cumulative grade point average in graduate courses at the end of any semester or summer session will be placed on probation. Upon approval of the Dean of the Graduate School, a student on probation may be allowed to enroll in up to nine additional credit hours to achieve the required 3.0 graduate grade point average. Only courses taken at The University of Tulsa will be used to determine the grade point average for the purpose of removing probation. If the average is not improved to 3.0 after the additional nine hours, and within one semester of enrollment for full-time students or three semesters for part-time students, the student may be dismissed from the graduate program. Exceptions for additional hours beyond the nine hours to achieve the required 3.0 average are granted on a case-by-case basis upon recommendation of the major program and with the approval of the Dean of the Graduate School.

If a student in a joint-degree program is placed on probation or dismissed by either the College of Law or by the Graduate School in a particular graduate degree program, that action shall pertain only to the student’s status within the particular degree program from which they are on probation or dismissed. The student may opt to continue pursuing studies within the other college or degree program. In such cases, the student will be obliged to satisfy the normal requirements of the college selected or degree program selected, which may include credit for some work done in the discontinued degree program, as determined by the Dean of the College of Law or the Dean of the Graduate School.

If a student has not made satisfactory progress toward the completion of a degree program because of incompletes in course work, the student may be placed on probation and further enrollment may be affected until the work is submitted for the incomplete courses, grades are submitted, and the student’s academic progress is evaluated.

A student may be placed on probation or dismissed from the Graduate School for reasons other than poor grades, even if he or she is in good academic standing. This includes, but is not limited to, the falsification of application materials, failure to satisfy stipulations imposed upon admission to the program, failure to maintain the standards of academic, ethical, or professional integrity expected in a particular discipline or program, and failure to satisfy other program or Graduate School requirements in a timely fashion as defined by established policies.

Degree Card and Graduation

Students who fulfill all requirements for their degree will be graduated at the end of the semester in which the requirements were met. A Degree Application card should be filed in the Graduate School when a student enrolls for the final semester of the degree program. The University will confer a degree to a student who has completed all of the requirements for the degree, even if a student has not applied for graduation. To graduate and receive a diploma, the student must be enrolled the semester of graduation, all academic degree requirements must be completed, all incompletes for courses being applied to the degree must be removed from the student’s record, and all indebtedness to the University must be satisfied. If a requirement for the degree is completion of a thesis or dissertation, the thesis or dissertation should be deposited with the library by April 15 to graduate at the conclusion of the spring semester, by December 1 to graduate at the conclusion of the fall semester, or by the last day of classes for summer graduation. The Master’s and Doctor of Philosophy degrees are conferred at the first commencement exercises after the completion of all graduation requirements. Each candidate is expected to attend the ceremonies.

Enrolled students who complete all degree requirements and deposit the final drafts of their thesis or dissertation in the library after April 15 or December 1 but before the respective May or December commencement may graduate that semester upon review and approval of the Dean of the Graduate School. Students who wish to participate in commencement exercises but have not submitted their thesis or dissertation by the deadline must petition their advisor and the Dean of the Graduate School in writing by April 15 (for spring) or December 1 (for fall). The petition represents an exception to policy.

May Commencement Policy

Deserving non-thesis graduate students who have no more than six credit hours remaining to complete all the requirements for their degree by the end of the summer session will be permitted to take part in May graduation ceremonies; this includes having their names printed in the commencement program. However, the student must petition both the advisor and the Graduate School in writing. Please call the Graduate School for information about what the petition must include and when it is due.

Master’s Degree Requirements

The following are minimum requirements only, and programs may have additional requirements. Students are responsible for compliance with all Graduate School requirements as set forth in this Bulletin.


Candidates for most master’s degrees at The University of Tulsa must complete a minimum of 30 credit hours of graduate study. Not more than six credit hours of approved graduate work completed in residence elsewhere may be accepted for credit toward the degree.

All graduate students must be enrolled during the final semester of completion of degree requirements. (See Graduate Residency and Final Enrollment.)

Public Access to Theses

All theses are expected to be public documents. These are bound and available in the library upon submission and acceptance by the Graduate School. Any exceptions must be agreed to in writing by the Dean of the Graduate School, an appropriate University officer, and the external funding source, if any, at the time the thesis proposal is presented and prior to the commencement of the research. The University of Tulsa policy on intellectual property rights applies to research conducted by University of Tulsa students. A request to sequester a thesis is an exception to policy and may only be granted for a limited period of time.


Many programs require a candidate for the master’s degree to submit a thesis presenting the results of scholarly investigation of a topic connected with the major field of study. In the case of creative work such as art and writing, the requirement may be satisfied by a creative production of acceptable quality. No fewer than two and in most cases no more than six credit hours may be earned by the thesis or creative production.

An individual advisor or thesis director should be chosen as soon as practical in accordance with department policies. The establishment of the thesis committee, composed of at least three members of the graduate faculty for the purpose of providing advice and guidance, should also occur early in the student’s research endeavor in order to maximize the committee’s benefit to the student. The thesis committee must be recommended by the program administration to the Dean of the Graduate School for approval. Any travel-related or other associated costs for a student, faculty member, or committee member to participate in a thesis defense are the responsibility of the student and will not be reimbursed by the Graduate School. It is strongly recommended that a student and his/her thesis advisor make prior arrangements to cover such costs.

Candidates must follow the guidelines for preparing a thesis set forth in “The Preparation of the Master’s Thesis and Doctoral Dissertation,” available in the Graduate School Office and on the Graduate School website. The thesis shall be presented before final submission to the Graduate School to the thesis committee in preparation for the thesis defense or oral examination.

The Graduate School Office should receive a request to approve the date, time, and place of the oral examination at least two weeks prior to the oral examination. The committee will examine the thesis and report to the chair supervising the research or creative work. Theses are graded on a pass-fail basis.

A copy of the thesis must be presented to the Graduate School, with a Signature Page signed by the student’s committee members, for review. The student will be notified when the manuscript has been reviewed and is responsible for making any necessary corrections. The student should submit three copies of the corrected thesis on 25 percent rag or cotton content bond paper to the Graduate School. The Graduate School will initiate the completion of an “Approval and Binding of Thesis or Dissertation” form and the student will complete a Thesis/Dissertation form. The student will then submit the “Approval and Binding of Thesis or Dissertation” form to the Bursar’s Office and it must be signed and dated by the Bursar’s Office after payment of all fees. The thesis copies and the “Approval and Binding of Thesis or Dissertation” form are then delivered to the Periodical Desk in McFarlin Library and the “Approval and Binding of Thesis or Dissertation” form must be signed and dated by the library to verify delivery of the copies for binding. The student should then return the completed “Approval and Binding of Thesis and Dissertation” form showing the signatures to the Graduate School. If the thesis is not deposited in the Library within six months after the successful completion of the thesis defense, the student may be required to re-defend and update the thesis.

Students graduating at the end of the spring semester must complete their oral examinations and deposit the final drafts of their theses in the library by April 15. The deadline for students graduating at the end of the fall semester is December 1, and the summer deadline is the last day of summer classes. Students who deposit the final draft of their thesis in the library after April 15 or December 1 but before the respective May or December commencement may graduate that semester upon review and approval of the Dean of the Graduate School.

An abstract of not more than 150 words shall be prepared by the candidate, one copy of which is to be bound with the thesis and additional copies are to be filed with the librarian and the Graduate School Office.

Some programs offer curricula not requiring a thesis. These are discussed in the appropriate sections on specific program requirements.

Comprehensive Examination or Qualifying Examination

Candidates may be required by the major program to pass an oral or written comprehensive examination in the major and minor fields in addition to the regular course examinations.

Master of Fine Arts Degree

The Master of Fine Arts degree is a 60-hour program offered only through the School of Art. See requirements in the Art portion of the Graduate Bulletin for specific information.

Combined Bachelor’s / Master’s Degree Programs

Outstanding students in accountancy, applied mathematics, biochemistry, biological sciences, chemistry, chemical engineering, engineering physics, geosciences, history, women’s and gender studies, and physics may be considered for admission to combined Bachelor’s/Master’s degree programs. These combined degree programs encourage students to complete graduate level work as undergraduates and typically permit a restricted number of 5000-level courses to be applied to both the undergraduate and graduate degree programs.

These programs have been developed to allow exceptional students the opportunity to complete a Bachelor’s degree and a Master’s degree in a reduced amount of time. For more information please see Combined Programs .

Doctoral Degree Requirements

The following are minimum requirements only; programs may have additional requirements. Students are responsible for compliance with all Graduate School requirements as set forth in this Bulletin.

Information regarding comprehensive exams, dissertation committee structure, and other specific requirements may be found under Anthropology, Biological Science, Chemical Engineering, Chemistry, Clinical Psychology, Computer Engineering, Computer Science, English Language and Literature, Geosciences, Industrial-Organizational Psychology, Mathematics, Mechanical Engineering, Petroleum Engineering, and Physics.

Any exception to the doctoral degree requirements must be approved by the major program administration and the Dean of the Graduate School.


Candidates for doctoral degrees must complete a minimum of 72 credit hours of graduate study. Some doctoral programs require a minimum of 90 hours (60 hours beyond the master’s degree). At least two consecutive semesters in residence at The University of Tulsa as a full-time student are required. Not more than 12 hours of approved graduate work that was not applied to another completed degree program and in residence elsewhere may be accepted for credit toward the degree.

Comprehensive Examination or Qualifying Examination

Candidates may be required by the major program to pass an oral or written examination or both as comprehensive examinations in the major and minor fields in addition to the regular course examinations.


A student who is admitted to a doctoral degree program is not a candidate for a doctoral degree until he or she has passed a qualifying examination or comprehensive examination, and has an approved proposal or prospectus for a dissertation topic. After approval of the dissertation topic by the appropriate committee within the program, the student’s department will recommend the student for candidacy. Usually a student has completed all coursework before being recommended for candidacy. After the recommendation is approved by the Dean of the Graduate School, the student is then a candidate for the doctoral degree.

Public Access to Dissertations

All dissertations are expected to be public documents. These are bound and available in the library upon submission and acceptance by the Graduate School. Any exceptions must be agreed to in writing by the Dean of the Graduate School, an appropriate University officer, and the external funding source, if any, at the time the dissertation proposal is presented and prior to the commencement of the research. The University of Tulsa policy on intellectual property rights applies to research conducted by University of Tulsa students. A request to sequester a dissertation is an exception to policy and may only be granted for a limited period of time.


An individual advisor or dissertation director should be chosen as soon as practical in accordance with department policies. The establishment of the dissertation committee, composed of graduate faculty for the purpose of providing advice and guidance concerning the student’s research, should also occur early enough in the student’s research endeavor to give the student the full benefit of the committee’s counsel and to act as a resource for the student. The dissertation committee must be recommended by the program administration to the Dean of the Graduate School for approval. A doctoral student must enroll in at least one credit hour of Research and Dissertation.

Candidates must follow the guidelines for preparing a dissertation set forth in “The Preparation of the Master’s Thesis and Doctoral Dissertation,” available in the Graduate School Office and on the Graduate School website. The dissertation shall be presented to the dissertation committee for their review.

The Graduate School Office should receive a request to set the date, time, and place of the oral examination at least two weeks prior to the oral examination. Any travel-related or other associated costs for a student or faculty member to participate in a dissertation defense are the responsibility of the student and will not be reimbursed by the Graduate School. It is strongly recommended that a student and his/her dissertation advisor make prior arrangements to cover such costs.

The committee will examine the dissertation and report to the chair supervising the research. Dissertations are graded on a pass-fail basis.

A copy of the dissertation must be presented to the Graduate School, with a Signature Page signed by the student’s committee members, for review. The student will be notified when the manuscript has been reviewed and is responsible for making any necessary corrections. The student should submit at least three copies of the corrected dissertation on 25 percent rag or cotton content bond paper to the Graduate School. The Graduate School will initiate the completion of an “Approval and Binding of Thesis or Dissertation” form and the student will complete a Thesis/Dissertation form. The Graduate School will also provide doctoral students with information to upload a PDF version of their dissertation to UMI for publication in the UMI database. The student will then submit the “Approval and Binding of Thesis or Dissertation” form to the Bursar’s Office and it must be signed and dated by the Bursar’s Office after payment of all fees. The dissertation copies and “Approval and Binding of Thesis or Dissertation” form are then delivered to the Periodical Desk in McFarlin Library and the “Approval and Binding of Thesis or Dissertation” form must be signed and dated by the library to verify delivery of the copies for binding. The student should then return the completed “Approval and Binding of Thesis and Dissertation” form showing the signatures to the Graduate School. If the dissertation is not deposited in the Library and to UMI within six months after the successful completion of the dissertation defense, the student may be required to re-defend and update the dissertation.

Students graduating at the end of the spring semester must complete their oral examinations and deposit the final drafts of their dissertation in the library by April 15. The deadline for students graduating at the end of the fall semester is December 1, and the deadline for summer graduation is the last day of summer classes. Students who deposit the final draft of their dissertation in the library after April 15 or December 1 but before the respective May or December commencement may graduate that semester upon review and approval of the Dean of the Graduate School. In such cases, the student might have missed the deadline for having their name printed in the respective commencement program.

All dissertations are published in the UMI database. Publication costs must be paid by the candidate unless a signed contract for commercial publication of the entire dissertation can be produced.

An abstract of not more than 350 words shall be prepared by the candidate, one copy of which is to be bound with the dissertation and additional copies are to be filed with the librarian and the Graduate School Office.

The Committee for Petitions of the Graduate Council

The Committee for Petitions of the Graduate Council considers petitions submitted in writing by any person who believes that he or she was treated improperly on a graduate academic matter, but only after attempts have been made to resolve the problems by discussions with relevant faculty members, the Graduate Program Advisor, the Chair of the Department, and the Dean of the Graduate School. Only academic issues involving procedures and affecting status in the graduate program are considered. The Committee makes recommendations to the Dean regarding the disposition of:

  • student petitions requesting departure from established Graduate School policies,
  • petitions involving charges of academic misconduct involving graduate students (these cases may be brought by the student or by the faculty member involved),
  • petitions involving a perceived academic impropriety arising from an action taken by an instructor, a department, or a committee charged to administer academic policies of a particular department or college.

Committee membership includes at least one graduate faculty member from each college offering graduate study. The Dean of the Graduate School designates the chair; the Committee elects the vice-chair, who presides in the absence of the chair and also in cases in which the petition being considered originates in the chair’s college. When a committee member is from the department where the petition originates, that member participates in the deliberations regarding the petition, but neither chairs the Committee nor votes on the disposition of the petition. Three or more committee members constitute a quorum; and a majority of three committee members is needed to sustain a charge. A tie vote indicates that the charge was not proven and is therefore rejected.

The Committee elects a secretary who keeps the minutes of all meetings. Written records of the proceedings are preserved for three years, along with any written statements of evidence presented. A copy of the written record is available to the petitioner upon request. Costs incurred in producing the copy are the responsibility of the petitioner. The petitioner has the right to see contrary evidence submitted to the committee and to write a rebuttal.

The person bringing the complaint must file the petition with the Graduate School during the semester in which the incident occurred, or during the subsequent two semesters. The petitioners may appear before the Committee, but only at the Committee’s invitation, and the Committee may also invite other concerned parties to attend. The petition is available to anyone against whom allegations are made so that those individuals may have the opportunity to respond.

The Committee conveys its findings and recommendations in writing to the Dean of the Graduate School. The petitioner and any accused person may see the final report and may write a response to be kept with the final report.

Any appeals concerning the outcome of the petition may be addressed to the Provost of The University of Tulsa and must be submitted within one month after the petitioner or accused person has been notified of the outcome. For further details concerning jurisdiction, procedures, and confidentiality issues concerning The Committee for Petitions of the Graduate Council, call the Graduate School Office.

Services and Programs Available to Graduate Students

Competitive Research Grants and Awards

The Graduate School and the Office of Research and Sponsored Programs offer several programs in which students may compete for awards. The purpose of the programs is to encourage students in their research endeavors and in the presentation of their scholarly works in a professional forum. These programs aid students with their research expenses (Student Research Grant Program) and assist with expenses associated with attendance at professional meetings to present their scholarly research (Student Travel Grants and Chapman Graduate Scholar Presentation Awards). For details, inquire at the Graduate School Office or the Office of Research and Sponsored Programs.

Annual Student Research Colloquium

Students, in conjunction with the Graduate School, organize an Annual Student Research Colloquium. This is held during the spring semester to give students additional public speaking experience and to encourage their research endeavors. The students’ presentations are judged according to criteria that are commonly used at scholarly professional meetings. The winners are announced and cash awards are presented at a Student Research Colloquium Awards Banquet.

Graduate Student Association

The Graduate Student Association helps organize the Annual Student Research Colloquium as well as other campus functions. The student members elect the association’s president, who conducts the organization’s meetings and also serves as a student member on the Graduate Council.

Honor Societies

Phi Kappa Phi was founded in 1897 as the Lambda Sigma Eta Society at the University of Maine. In 1900, the society added chapters at the Pennsylvania State College (now Pennsylvania State University) and the University of Tennessee and was renamed Phi Kappa Phi. The University of Tulsa chapter, chartered in 1990, is one of over 250 chapters in the United States.

Phi Kappa Phi elects members from all recognized branches of academic endeavor. Members are selected on the basis of high academic achievement and good character. Inductees may include a maximum of 10 percent of the graduate students in the university.

Study Abroad

The University of Tulsa is committed to offering its graduate students opportunities to acquire international and cross-cultural experience and learn a foreign language. Students can choose from several study abroad options, including summer, semester and year-long programs. TU offers a wide selection of international study options where students can choose courses in all disciplines and apply them towards their majors, as well as satisfy other graduation requirements. TU has international exchange partnerships with universities throughout the world, and plans are underway to take advantage of additional exchange opportunities. The Center for Global Education office can also arrange overseas internships for credit.

In addition to consulting and securing approval from their graduate program advisor and the Graduate School, interested students must visit the Center for Global Education office six months prior to the semester in which they wish to study abroad and must submit a special application form.

Certificate Programs

Graduate students may complete certificate programs, which allow them to acquire proficiencies in a specialized area of study without having to fulfill all of the requirements of a degree program. Many of the hours that count toward a certificate may also count toward a degree should the student decide to enroll in a degree program. Certificates can be earned by individuals who already possess one or more college degrees or who have otherwise been admitted as special students.

Most certificate programs require completion of 15 to 27 credit hours of advanced coursework. Certificates are currently offered in Finance, Information Security, as well as Respecialization in I-O Psychology.

Life Skills Workshop Series

This workshop series provides TU graduate students with skills outside their disciplines that will build their professional competencies and maximize their options to succeed in their careers and lives. In addition to career development skills, the series also deals with issues such as stress, ethical decisions, and other topics. The Graduate School recognizes the unique pressures that graduate students encounter during their academic studies. Each workshop, seminar, or panel discussion focuses on an issue that relates to the student’s academic career and beyond. For details about workshop dates, topics, and locations, call the Graduate School Office 918-631-2336 or visit the Life Skills workshop webpage on the Graduate School website.

The Center for Student Academic Support

All students are encouraged to familiarize themselves with, and take advantage of, services provided by the center, such as tutoring, academic counseling, and developing study skills. The center also provides confidential consultations for any student with academic concerns as well as for students with disabilities. Students with disabilities should advise the Center for Student Academic Support of their needs in order to facilitate their rights under the Americans with Disabilities Act. The center is located in Lorton Hall, Room 210. Call 918-631-2315 for more information, or visit the Center’s website at https://utulsa.edu/csas.

Career Services

The Office of Career Services provides a comprehensive set of services to assist students and alumni in the development of career plans and specific strategies leading to a desired employment goal. This office specializes in career planning, career counseling and assessment, internships, job fairs and career days, employment and recruitment, and offers a Graduate School admission workshop. For further information contact the office at careerhelp@utulsa.edu or call 918-631-2549.

Graduate School Memberships

The Graduate School is a member of the Council of Graduate Schools (CGS), the Conference of Southern Graduate Schools (CSGS), and the Midwestern Association of Graduate Schools (MAGS) and enrolled students are eligible for awards offered by these groups. Awards include the CGS/UMI Distinguished Dissertation Award, the CSGS Master’s Thesis Award, and the MAGS Distinguished Master’s Thesis Award.

In addition, since 1993 students and faculty of The University of Tulsa have benefited from its membership in Oak Ridge Associated Universities (ORAU). ORAU is a consortium of 105 colleges and universities and a contractor for the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) located in Oak Ridge, Tennessee. ORAU works with its member institutions to help their students and faculty gain access to federal research facilities throughout the country; to keep its members informed about opportunities for fellowship, scholarship, and research appointments; and to organize research alliances among its members.

Through the Oak Ridge Institute for Science and Education (ORISE), the DOE facility that ORAU operates, undergraduates, graduates, postgraduates, as well as faculty enjoy access to a multitude of opportunities for study and research. Students can participate in programs covering a wide variety of disciplines including business, earth sciences, epidemiology, engineering, physics, geological sciences, pharmacology, ocean sciences, biomedical sciences, nuclear chemistry, and mathematics. Appointment and program length range from one month to four years. Many of these programs are especially designed to increase the numbers of underrepresented minority students pursuing degrees in science- and engineering-related disciplines. A comprehensive listing of these programs and other opportunities, their disciplines, and details on locations and benefits can be found in the ORISE Catalog of Education and Training Programs, which is available at www.orau.gov/orise/educ.htm, or by calling either of the contacts below.

ORAU’s Office of Partnership Development seeks opportunities for partnerships and alliances among ORAU’s members, private industry, and major federal facilities. Activities include faculty development programs, such as the Ralph E. Powe Junior Faculty Enhancement Awards, the Visiting Industrial Scholars Program, consortium research funding initiatives, faculty research, and support programs as well as services to chief research officers.

For more information about ORAU and its programs contact: Janet A. Haggerty, Dean of the Graduate School at 918-631-2336, Monnie E. Champion, ORAU Corporate Secretary at 865-576-3306, or visit the ORAU homepage www.orau.org.

Financial Assistance

Fellowships and Teaching and Research Assistantships

The University offers a number of different fellowships and assistantship programs to full-time graduate students. Students must apply for the teaching and research assistantships; awards are made upon the recommendation of the applicant’s discipline. Awards that are competitive outside a specific degree program are initiated by student self-nomination and are determined by the administration. Stipends vary according to the amount of work required and the experience of the student. No assistantship or combination of assistantships for a given student may exceed 20 hours of duties per week. Tuition scholarship awards of up to 9 credit hours remission of tuition per semester will be based on academic achievement.

Students awarded financial assistance must be enrolled in at least 9 but not more than 12 credit hours of graduate work during a regular semester (fall and spring). Special permission is required to deviate from these hours except for two sequential regular semesters in a master’s program or four sequential regular semesters in a doctoral program when the student was enrolled in at least nine hours per semester for the prior two sequential regular semesters. Students must also maintain a 3.0 grade point average, be in good academic standing, and be on-track to complete their degree program. Students on probation are not eligible for consideration.

The University of Tulsa maintains that a full-time graduate student receiving a graduate assistantship has a full-time commitment. Any employment in addition to the assistantship is specifically prohibited. Any violation of this policy may result in the immediate termination of the assistantship. Any request for an exception to this policy must be submitted in writing to the Graduate Program Advisor and the assistantship supervisor and must receive their approval as well as that of the Dean of the Graduate School. Employment beyond the 20 hours associated with assistantships may place either the student’s academic performance or that individual’s performance on the assistantship at risk, and may therefore jeopardize the continuation of the student’s good academic standing. The Dean will consider only requests for exceptions when employment will benefit the student’s career development or in instances of severe financial need.

Applications are available from the Graduate School in Lorton Hall 201. The application deadline for most types of assistance is February 1, and recipients will be announced in early April. The Ben Henneke Research Fellowships, Foster Brooks Parriott Graduate Scholarships, Wilfred Woobank Graduate Assistantships, John S. Zink Fellowships, have an application deadline no later than January 15. The Bellwether Fellowships have an application deadline no later than December 1. Reapplication is not automatic. Recipients of an assistantship must reapply in order to be considered in subsequent years and must satisfy all reporting requirements.

Forms for graduate assistantships, fellowships, and scholarships may be downloaded from the Graduate School website.

Assistantships and Fellowships

The awards in this section have a tuition scholarship component as well as a stipend component awarded to graduate students at The University of Tulsa. These awards come with the fringe benefit of student health insurance.

Teaching/Research/Administrative Office Assistantships. Open to students pursuing master’s or doctoral degrees. The assistantship includes a stipend and remission of tuition for 9 credit hours per semester. Workload: Teaching two courses or the equivalent in research activities or administrative office activities for approximately 20 hours per week.

Wilfred Woobank Graduate Assistantships. The applicant must be a citizen of the United States and either be seeking full-time enrollment or be enrolled full-time in an engineering or natural sciences graduate degree program. The awards may be designated for one year or may be awarded for up to three years of study for the master’s or four years for the doctoral degree. The award includes a stipend and 18 or 19 credit hours of tuition scholarship. There is a 10 hour per week service component to the Wilfred Woobank Assistantship, intended to foster interaction between the scholar and the department. Some recipients have condensed their service duties to 20 hours per week for one semester and used the following semester for a research abroad experience. Application deadline is January 15; applications are available from the Graduate School.

Ben Henneke Research Fellowships. This award honors the University’s first Trustees Professor of Humanities and President Emeritus, Ben Graf Henneke. The applicant must be a citizen of the United States and either be seeking full-time enrollment or be enrolled full-time in a master’s degree program within the arts, humanities, or social sciences (anthropology, art, education, English language and literature, history, speech-language pathology, or psychology). The award carries a 9- or 12- month stipend and nine credit hours of tuition for each of the fall and spring semesters, as well as 6 credit hours of summer tuition when appropriate. Some recipients have used the summer funding for research abroad. Application deadline is January 15; applications are available from the Graduate School.

Bellwether Fellowships. Bellwether fellowship recipients are expected to be leaders in their respective disciplines and trendsetters for The University of Tulsa doctoral degree. The recipients will receive an award up to 21 credit hours in tuition and a stipend for 12 months, and University housing for up to 12 months. To be eligible for an award, a doctoral student must be admitted to candidacy (passed all qualifying or comprehensive exams and successfully defended the prospectus or dissertation proposal) and be able to demonstrate a good track record with respect to timely completion of Ph.D. milestones. Candidates for the award are expected to be in the writing stage of their dissertation work with the majority of the research (and data collection where applicable) completed. Application deadline is no later than December 1; applications are available from the Graduate School Office.

Student Health Insurance

Students who have a 20 hour per week teaching/research/administrative office assistantship, Woobank Assistantship, or full University fellowship (such as Bellwether Fellowships or Henneke Research Fellowships) and who are uninsured are eligible to receive the University Student Health Insurance that is provided by The University of Tulsa to the individual student (see Tuition and Fees  for more information). This is a community benefit; therefore, students who already have health insurance that pays benefits in Oklahoma will not be reimbursed, nor may the student receive the equivalent cost of the insurance to apply to another policy with another company. To acquire the insurance, a student must complete the Graduate Assistant or Fellow Request for University Student Health Insurance form available at the Graduate School.

Other Types of Financial Assistance

John S. Zink Fellowship for Students with Physical Disabilities. This endowed fellowship is available to aid TU students with physical disabilities, and is given to students in any graduate program. Fellowship amounts are variable and awarded on the basis of need. The intention of the award is to assist with covering additional expenses incurred by the student because of a physical disability while in a graduate degree program. These awards do not cover full tuition or provide stipend in an amount sufficient to cover all living expenses. To qualify, you must be admitted to The University of Tulsa, be in good academic standing, qualify for services provided by The Center for Student Academic Support, and be registered to receive those services. Application deadline is January 15; application forms are available from the Graduate School.

Foster Brooks Parriott Graduate Scholarships. A number of these scholarships, established in memory of Foster Brooks Parriott by the Parriott family, are awarded annually on the basis of scholastic achievement and need. The scholarship includes up to 24 credit hours of tuition for the year. Application deadline is January 15; applications are available from the Graduate School Office.

Educator Tuition Scholarship. All full-time, Oklahoma elementary or secondary school teachers and administrators who qualify for admission to the Graduate School and wish to enroll on a part-time basis may apply for a two-thirds tuition scholarship by completing the scholarship form and returning it to The University of Tulsa Graduate School on or before the time of enrollment.

Other Scholarships. Certain corporations, businesses, and individuals offer a variety of graduate scholarships. These may include full or partial payment of tuition, fees, or books. Recipients are often chosen only from among applicants interested in fields prescribed by the donors. Information on these awards may be obtained from the Graduate School Office or from the discipline in which the student plans to study.

Loan Funds. Inquiries regarding loans should be made to the Office of Student Financial Services .

Financial Assistance for Research/Scholarship Purposes

Student Research and Travel Grant Program. Financial assistance is available through the Office of Research and Sponsored Programs for students to engage in worthwhile research projects, presentations at professional meetings, and juried exhibitions. A student’s application should be prepared with faculty guidance. Doctoral students enrolled in Research and Dissertation are eligible for awards up to $1,000, with a cap of $2,000 in total funding as a doctoral student. All other degree seeking students are eligible for individual research awards of up to $500, with a cap of $1,000 in total funding while enrolled in a specific degree program. The maximum amount for a group research project is $1,000. Research project grants may be up to $500, with a cap of $1,000 during your degree program. Graduate students may be awarded up to $600 for a single presentation at a professional meeting. This is also the maximum amount that can be received while a graduate student is in a single degree program. If a degree is awarded and a graduate student begins a new degree program, they are eligible for an additional $600. For more information on this program, contact the Office of Research and Sponsored Programs

Chapman Graduate Scholar Presentation Awards. The Chapman Graduate Scholar Presentation Awards Program through the Graduate School provides assistance for graduate students to present their scholarship in a national or international forum to enhance the student’s career opportunities. Any enrolled graduate student who is a senior author on an abstract and orally presenting research conducted at The University of Tulsa may apply. The maximum amount of an individual award is $1,000 at the master’s degree level and $1500 at the doctoral degree level. Applications for support during an academic year must be submitted by the end of the second week of classes during the fall or spring semesters; for a summer presentation, the request must be submitted by the end of the second week of the spring semester.